**** DONE: GB-36 1:48 Macchi C.205 ( 1 ) - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. As mentioned in my other build, I'm in a kind of a funk with regards to paint and may or may not complete the build. That funk rolled over into this one as well but earlier tonight I persevered. You don't know how many times I went downstairs to my model room this week, sat down for a few minutes, looked at the models and then came back upstairs. Well sirs....the camo is on and pretty gosh darned pleased with it. Touch ups are few and these are of my own making. The masking tape, other than the thin Tamiya tape outlines were pretty much slapped on and some faint mists of paint flowed under. Easy fix and the good news is no bleed under along panel lines or awkward curves. I lifted a bit of paint under the left wing but again my own fault. I knew I hadn't removed enough of the tackiness but just wanted to get this done: again an easy fix.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

The dreaded wrap around camo on the wings turned out pretty good, a minor touchup needed at the wheel well.

IMG_0003.JPG

Last edited:
Nicely done Geo. Lost count of how many times I've looked at a model on the bench, and then said "B*llocks to it !" and walked away !!

It looks good Geo. With the mottling, I would see if you can get the airbrush to work for you, but brush painted mottles are quite okay. The trick is to keep the paint thin. Practice your application. Do you have an old unused body or wing in your stash of bits ? I would use that as a practice sheet.

In the finish, when I did my RE 2000 Heja last year (which I am unable to find now in this place) I found freestyle brush painting was the best method of application . The mottles are undoubtedly tricky, but if I can do it........

Touched up a small glitch on the wing. In the past I would just brush paint a small area but for some reason the colours change. I'm not sure why, maybe it has to do with the diluted paint in the airbrush compared to straight paint from the bottle.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

Very happy how it turned out but I'm still not a very good judge about how much paint to mix up for various jobs. I had a fair amount left so I tried mottling. Keep in mind that this is with the grey large spray tip, 2:1 paint mix and 20 PSI. I did throttle back the air/paint flow mix to almost zero paint. The heavier spots are my impatience...

IMG_0008.JPG

For Michael, my test bed...

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

I'll let this dry today and clear coat in the morning. Got some stuff to do and then going to work on (2) using Wayne's paint mix if I can scrounge up enough paint. If not...PG on Saturday, weather permitting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back