**** DONE: GB-44 1/72 Saab Draken - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A few progress pictures. I've noticed while poking around on the interweb for pictures of this aircraft the elevons are always drooping when parked. Out comes the X Acto and so begins the hacking. On the tail cone I carved out the trailing wing root and drilled a few holes. I also used a some beer can aluminum to fill in the tail cone exhaust. I painted the inside of it as best I could to look like an exhaust can or whatever the term is for it. Didn't look so hot but no matter, no way to see it once it's all together.

draken (24)r.jpg

draken (25)r.jpg

draken (26)r.jpg

draken (27)r.jpg

Didn't try painting mine Geo, no need - Draken intakes are so small all you see is darkness inside, that is, pitch black...

Glad it worked for you too Graham (I'm all for saving brain pain! :))

Last edited:
Great pictures, such a deadly looking plane ! The shrink tube is a very dark gray so I'm not going to even bother painting it. Just the insides of the very tip of the intake. I left about a mm gap between the tube and the tip.

Good stuff Graham, and great pics Wojtku!

Actually Graham, all pics I have show darkness right upto the lips of the intakes, not even a hint of NM fading to darkness!

Kind of stalled on this one. Christmas and all. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a safe one..........and maybe lots of cool stuff ! Ok un-stalled now, Christmas panic over and time for some painting. Got the first coat done. I don't have the exact colours so I had to use RLM colours and a few others to replicate the camouflage. The kit calls for midnight blue and olive drab topside. OD seems a bit too greenish so I used Faded OD which looks righ. The blue is odd, I looked at a lot of pictures and a lot of them look like it's more green than blue. Others are definitely blue. Non-Specular Sea Blue which I don't have ? I ended up using a mix of Dark Sea Blue and Willow green. Not yet sure if I'm happy with it so far though.

saabpaintr.jpg

draken (33)r.jpg

draken (34)r.jpg

draken (35)r.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wanted to make this plane but the one with the camouflage in three colors and I've never taken the step to go for it.
A question about those resins that you use, you need to put them in a vacuum to get the possible air that has or is that that problem does not have it ?, I use the polyurethane resin and if I do not put it in a vacuum it is like a cheese Well fermented enmmental !!!

by the way you love how you wear it, and those details that you have added give it that plus ...

Agree with all.
The green looks rather light in shade though, but maybe it's the effect of the lighting ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back