**** DONE: GB-49 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I (EARLY) - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

correction.

looking at the enlarged shot posted in your thread about this Spitfire a while back, i can now see what you are talking about !

57 OTU SPITFIRE Mk.I LVN s/n AR212

very strange

1-AR212-02-002.jpg

I may be wrong, but isn't this the aircraft flown by "Ginger" Lacey, when he was instructing at Hawarden ?
If so, then I had an article years ago, somewhere, where he explained the colours, with a yellow nose, as I recall, to "rub home" the message of the "yellow-nosed b@stards" to his students, before they were posted to squadrons, when he'd dive down onto them ( the student pilot's flight) out of cloud or sun.
I think the tones are probably the effect of lighting, and the reproduction from the original print, with the yellow being fresh, possibly "washable" paint, hence it's brighter appearance. That said, i agree that it does give the appearance of white in this particular rendition of the photo.
The code letters are very probably Medium Sea Grey, and the underside "Sky", or a variation of one of the "mixes" used, with the "Sky" band either dirty underneath ( Hawarden is / was a grass field, in a rather wet area on the borders of England and North Wales ), or a combination of dirt, shadow and the printing / reproduction process.

Correct on this being Lacey's aircraft and the yellow nose Terry. I've got a nice already in the bottle faded yellow for the nose. Did a shufti over on the ARCforum site and there was, unofficially a C and D scheme, rarely used and the colours were transposed. This may be the case for my aircraft. Found a decal sheet that seems to back this up, showing two aircraft with the Middlestone and D.E. reversed. More checking will be done, first with Andy's link. Here is the decal sheet info, not the best size I'm afraid...

1612302058525.png

Posted the above photo with my thoughts on Britmodeller and they thought I was nuts, said it was a normal "B" scheme and it was basically an optical illusion that the colours looked reversed. Lots of time before I start to paint the camo. Anyhoo..... I've got the insert pretty much done with some clean-up to do. Then I'll check to make sure the instrument panel will clear as well. I think on the Mk.V I had to grind the inside of the insert
IMG_0011.JPG

Posted the above photo with my thoughts on Britmodeller and they thought I was nuts, said it was a normal "B" scheme and it was basically an optical illusion that the colours looked reversed.

I sure didn't read the responses that way. One responder, after noting that the film wasn't ortho, agreed with what you were seeing and wondered if there was a filter on the camera that might make the green appear lighter than the brown.

Just puttering around and debating whether or not to make this a travel day. I was reading another build using this kit and the builder was upset that rivets weren't included on the cockpit side panels but they are clearly shown in photos of the real aircraft. He bought some rivet decals but they didn't show up well. He then removed the frames, used a rivet making tool to add rivets and then added new frames. I see panel rivets, not good ones but still...

IMG_0001.JPG

I'VE SWAPPED KITS AROUND WITH THE OTHER BUILD DUE TO THE ARMOUR ADDITION IN THE EARLY KIT AND I DON'T FEEL LIKE BUGGERING AROUND WITH IT. SO....IF YOU'RE AS CONFUSED AS I AM, THE BUILD STARTS NOW
At least you didn't mistake a twin P-40 for an XP-55 like I did a few days ago. At least they were both Curtiss products :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back