**** DONE: GB-49 1:48 Spitfire Mk.I - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just checked Ultracast for one early seat and the later seat comes as a twofer. Shipping was just a bit more than the seats so I'll settle for plastic and P.E.

Just as well you didn't get the seats Geo - the harness arrangement is wrong on both versions. The straps from the slot in the bottom of the seat back should go over the back of the seat, not through the slot, which was actually a "handle" to assist in removing the seat.

Thanks Terry, I noticed that late last night. Beautiful seats though. I've got some P.E. RAF belts somewhere and I'll get back to you guys to see if one is correct for this one. Debating whether to head to PG now or in the early AM tomorrow. Snowing quite heavily right now I can leave around 4:00PM and take it easy or leave at 6:00AM and give 'er

I might have to swap these builds around. This kite doesn't have seat or head armour but the kit parts have it. The other build kit has the with or without option. I'm going to see if I can do some modifications first; mostly how to mount the seat to the frame as the armour mounts to a lug in the back of the seat and then attaches to the frame via four lugs. The head armour will need to be ground off the frame thusly.......

Screenshot 2021-02-15 091441.jpg

A nice little early Spitfire sample from Wingleader here...https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5a3...f979a5ca9e4fe65a619_Spitfire Bookbrochure.pdf

This question will cover both; would the area behind the seat bulkhead still be in Interior Green or aluminum? I'm thinking yes to Interior Green for this but not sure of the change-over date

As far as I know, it was bare aluminium on early Spits, with the green replacing this I think from late "L" serial numbers, or possibly from "N" serial numbers, but there were bound to be exceptions - I'd need to check all my refs to try to establish when etc.
WZ-H would be in the bare aluminium / silver, but Lacey's aircraft would almost certainly be the grey green.

Thanks Terry, thy will be done. Finally got something accomplished. This was mostly an exercise using the new Liquitex Flat I purchased this weekend. First up was to spray the rear section aluminum. I chose Vallejo Metal Color Semi-Matt Aluminum which turned out pretty glossy. Due to the colour, I don't think you're going to notice much change but trust me, there is some

IMG_0002.JPG

I gloss coated with Liquitex Gloss.....just because. One side washed with Citadel Gryphonne Sepia

IMG_0003.JPG

The flat coat was then added. Tanks painted with Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver just for variation and the straps done with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum, washed with Citadel Agrax Earthshade which is actually a shade. The copper paint is also Tamiya from one of those old big honkin' bottles

IMG_0004.JPG

I'll let this set-up and then paint the forward section of the cockpit and relevant bits with Innards Green. Hard to tell but the flat worked really well. I'll use it again once the rest of the cockpit is done, you may be able to see the difference better

Looking good so far.
One point though, the crowbar on the cockpit door was not introduced until after the BoB, either very late 1940, or early 1941, although that said, it probably won't be visible under a closed canopy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back