**** DONE: GB-51 1:48 Lockheed S-3B Viking - No Propellers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Finished painting most of the lil sticky-outy bits; procrastinating the main painting. Still uneasy about using the AB but progressed last night with some pre-shading to break up the grey. I chose to do the canopy/anti-glare panel first for the sole reason that this is the colour I used for pre-shading. Main colour on tonight.....or not

IMG_1585.JPG

Pulled off the masks and started gloss coating. The first thing I noticed when I pulled off the masks is that there are two deep scratches on the windscreen. Not sure how these were missed when I masked up the canopy. I'm going to have to live with it. The second thing I noticed is that Italeri missed the red tips on the horizontal stabs. I just added these. Gloss coating will continue shortly. I was concerned about the age of the decals but a test drive of a small spare showed that they didn't fall apart.....yet. There is still the fear of the large walkway decals and the super large one piece tail decal.

IMG_1610.JPG

Thanks all. Large walkway decals and the super large one piece tail decals are on one side and a royal pain in the keester they was. Lots of prodding and poking to get the walkways lined up and stretching and pressing on the tail decal. I have to say that the tail decal is one of the hardiest decals I have applied. I was waiting for it to rip at any moment but it held up. My main concern now is to try and match the decal colour to paint at the top of the tail. I'll have to redo the red on the stab as well. I was hoping it would be far enough away from the decal but the difference is too stark

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

What can't be seen in the photo is that the tail decal is slightly snuggled into the panel lines and I have added some of my dwindling bottle of Polly Scale Decal Softener to assist. I'll let this set for a few hours and then continue with the left side

Users who are viewing this thread

Back