**** DONE: GB-54 1:48 SBD-3 - Pacific Theater

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow, picture number Eleven, page 4
usually That many to cover the cockpit!!!!
So it's buttoned up at least the fuselage!!!!!
GB54-11.jpg

Another bloody early early morning.
So did some canopy masking.
Thought I would post my By Hand procedures for masking.
GB54-12.jpg
First I have a Godhand, brand name, cutting board. It's graduated in parts of a mm cutting lines.
I use a #11 Pointed scalpel to cut the tape applied to the board. 1mm for canopy masking.
I pick the tape up with long pointed tweezers and drop the tape on both sides of the framing.
I tape in all directions up-n-down, front to back. This makes sure all sides line up, not helter skelter.
After Both directions are taped I use the #15 round end scalpel to cut the intersections out.
I do this with a rocking motion on the tape. This prevents pulling the tape corners in All Directions.
After all the intersections are done I then cut wider pieces of tape, 2mm wide maybe, a bit longer and fill the innerds.
I don't try and cut shapes to fit, unless it's pointed corners, then it's just bits. Cutting to fit drives me insane!
Surprising how fast it can go. I then use the round side of the tweezers to push the overlaps of tape down in the corners.
Job done, ready for paint. Save 25-30 bucks for cut masks that often do not fit!!!!!!

Yep, more or less the same here except I don't cut the masks on the part. I cut them short, start in one corner then the piece from the other corner overlaps the other piece just stuck on. That way no chance of scratching the clear part. Round corners can be done by punching small circles of the right radius from the masking tape, sticking those in the corners and then adding the straight bits over the circles.

It's on my bench, primer all over waiting for a good day to paint in my garage!
Good spraying days! It would seem those days are getting rarer.

Was in my garage spraying yesterday with roller door open for light and air when the complex gardeners turned up. Had to do a quick door close as they love to use the blowers shifting fallen leaves and accumulated dust onto the garden beds. The dust fly's everywhere. :D

Well today was a good day for painting, and both top and bottom colors.
Picture shows the SBD in a sorta jig for aligning the wheel on the legs.
Canopy has been painted just have to do some of the top ares of the cockpit
and under the windscreen areas.
GB54-13.jpg
More tomorrow.

Well, I don't know what's happening with these kits!!!!!
but it's not Covid to blame!!!!!!!
All was looking good, to me, sooooo far!
GB54-14.jpg
Then may attention went to the canopy glass!
Now WTF is it with the gunners rear glass????
How do I get That to fit? Ideas??????
GB54-16.jpgGB54-15.jpg
I'm stumped!

Not really much of a clue of how to fix. BUT............................................maybe you could gently warm it up with a hair dryer and pull gently to open it out a tad. May not end up the perfect fit but it may fit better. 😳

Just a thought. 😌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back