**** DONE: GB36 - 1/48th Bf109G-6/R6 - Axis Manufactured aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Glenn - been wanting to do this subject for some years now.
Having a break from the bench tonight, as my wrists are a bit stiff - don't want to mess up at this late stage. Should be back at it tomorrow.

I seem to have hit an unexpected delay.
I'd cleaned-up the prop, spinner and back plate, and painted the prop blades and root hubs (RLM 70 and bare metal), with the intention of assembling everything, and then painting the spinner black.
However, the prop is designed to be assembled around the prop shaft, already located in the nose, with the shaft having a different diameter for the hole in the back plate, and that in the prop hub. Consequently, if assembled off the model, the prop itself 'floats around' inside the spinner !
I've had to file-down the rear faces of the prop pitch hubs, in order to get somewhere close to the prop mating with the back plate, cement the prop in place as best as possible (it still wants to move around), and then assemble the spinner and back plate around it, maintaining alignment with a temporary 'peg' acting as the shaft
Once this has all set, or set as much as it's going to, I'll have to re-paint the whole lot, and then fit it to the prop shaft, hoping it can be aligned, and I'll probably need to cement the whole assembly in place.
I had hoped to get the model finished by tonight, along with the final small bits on the 'Emil', and then move on to the next GB, but it looks like this won't be completed until sometime over the weekend, as I doubt I'll have much bench time tomorrow.
Back when I get it done, hopefully with the 'Finished' thread too .......................

Hoping to get it finished tonight Vic.
Got the prop and spinner re-painted and ready to fit (I hope !), and the aileron mass balances on, along with a stretched sprue IFF antenna.
Once the prop is in place, and hopefully aligned and fitted properly, it just needs the antenna wires. Should have pics later.

Finally got around to getting the pics sorted.
Mass balances and IFF on, antenna wires fitted, and the prop in place.
It's not that apparent in the pics, but the prop spinner has been finished in black (blades RLM 70), with the front 'cap' section in a slightly different shade, to replicate the often seen sheen on this section of the spinner. This was achieved by adding a little gloss clear to the matt finish for the front end of the spinner.
I'm not entirely convinced that the prop itself is fully aligned properly, due to it being 'loose' inside the spinner, but it has been located onto the front section of the prop shaft, so it'll have to do.
Just got to paint the tensioner and insulators on the antenna wire, which are blobs of PVA on the 'invisible' thread, and then I'll get the 'Finished' shots done and posted later tonight.
Attaching the wire was a tad tricky, as the fin post on this kit is extremely small, nowhere near as tall as it should be, but again, it'll have to do.

Fransisket build 193.JPG
Fransisket build 194.JPG
Fransisket build 195.JPG

Looking really really nice Terry :thumbright:
Now I need to learn how to handle it, without breaking all the small 'sticky out' bits with my stiff fingers !!
That IS the tricky part isn't it. One of the mass balances I put on mine last night lasted all of 30 seconds before I grabbed it by the wing (to avoid the newly installed radio mast) and knocked it off. Good thing there were no small children in the area to hear my cursing.

Yep, same here !
I knocked off the starboard mass balance twice, but fortunately, it came out of the locating hole, rather than snapping off, and was fixed relatively easily - allowing for stupid stiff fingers getting in the way, that is !
It's now finished - or as finished as it's going to be - and I'll post the 'Done' pic, and the 'Finished' thread, after dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back