**** DONE: GB36 - 1/48th Bf109G-6/R6 - Axis Manufactured aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Getting close to finishing, with the cannon gondolas painted and fitted, the tail wheel assembly on, drop tank in place, and main undercart legs fitted.

PICS 1 and 2. Cannon barrels painted, and the modified gondolas fitted to the wings.
PIC 3. Tail wheel painted, assembled, fitted to the fuselage, and dirtied a bit
PIC 4. Oil cooler support stay added from stretched sprue and awaiting paint, and the drop tank sway braces, again stretched sprue, in position and awaiting a trim to length.
PIC 5. Detail painting on the drop tank, and the fuel and pressure lines added from stretched sprue. Note the 'K' in the 'Keine Bombe' decal broke up and floated off into never land - but no big deal, as it can't really be seen once the tank is in place.The tensioning latch on the support strap was made by softening some stretched sprue with liquid cement, and then pressing the detail into the softened plastic, using the tip of a scalpel blade.
PIC 6. Drop tank in place, and the stretched sprue sway braces adjusted to join onto the brace attachment pads.
PIC 7. The main gear legs had brake lines added from lead wire, and the leather gaiters over the oleos added, by applying some small blobs of CA and, once set, painting in two shades of brown, to simulate the folds in the leather. Wheels were painted matt black, followed by a couple of coats of gloss clear, and the tyres were painted using a mix of matt black, matt white, and Dark Earth. When dry, the tyres were dry-brushed with Dark Earth, and the wheels received a Dark Earth wash.
PIC 8. Main gear legs and doors fitted. The wheels will be fitted and set to the correct angle once the legs have fully set.

Next stage is to make and fit a pitot tube from alloy tube and brass rod, as the kit part is rather 'heavy', then fit the wheels, finish and fit the prop, fit the aileron mass balances, and the radio antenna mast, and a stretched sprue IFF antenna on the underside. Once the radio mast has fully set, the wires will be added, using 'invisible' thread.
Thanks again for the compliments and interest, and I'll post another up-date soon.

Fransisket build 174.JPG
Fransisket build 175.JPG
Fransisket build 177.JPG
Fransisket build 179.JPG
Fransisket build 181.JPG
Fransisket build 182.JPG
Fransisket build 183.JPG
Fransisket build 185.JPG

Thanks very much, Andy and Wojtek.
More by accident than design, as the rack is from the Tamiya 'Emil' kit, it is actually slightly off-center, and I also think I've seen a reference and / or scale drawing showing this.

Wheels are on, and it's up on its legs, with the antenna mast fitted, and a scratch-built pitot tube also made and fitted.

PIC 1. The short antenna mast in place, along with the D/F loop. There was a large sprue attachment on the side of the mast and, when trying to remove it, it also removed a chunk of plastic. This has been sanded as best as possible, given its small size and being tricky to hold still, and the remaining divot will be filled, I hope, with primer and paint.
PIC 2. A length of 1mm diameter alloy tube was first drilled out, as the internal bore was only 0.5 mm, and the brass rod for the pitot needed a touch more to be able to fit securely. The tube was then cut to length in the cutting jig, and then fixed in place with CA. Once set, a length of brass rod was inserted and again fixed with CA, after first filing the tip to a rounded point. This will be painted tomorrow.
PICS 3 and 4. What the model looks like so far, sitting on it's own three legs.

Back sometime tomorrow with another up-date.

Fransisket build 189.JPG
Fransisket build 188.JPG
Fransisket build 186.JPG
Fransisket build 187.JPG

Thanks very much, Michael and Geo.
I'm quite pleased with it so far - there are a couple of small areas that could be better, and that tissue dust under the canopy is annoying, although most of it has been shaken loose, but overall, if I say so myself, it ain't half bad !

Terry, if by chance there is the slightest gap in the canopy somewhere, maybe try blowing your airbrush in there. You can concentrate the stream through a plastic stir stick.

Thanks Wojtek.
Andy, as I was a smart Rs, I sealed all canopy joints with PVA, to prevent any chance of spray mist getting inside !
However, I've been gently tapping the canopy, and as the tissue dust loses it's static, it's falling off - or it was, until the bl**dy lump of tissue fell back into the cockpit, so I had to start tapping again !!

Thanks Kirby and Vic.
Yep, I noticed the paint wear - easy job, as the leading edge demarcation was 'feathered', in a soft, wavy line, part of which can be seen in the pics.
It'll be re-touched when the mast and pitot are painted, which should be this evening, I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back