**** DONE: GB36 - 1/48th Bf109G-6/R6 - Axis Manufactured aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek, I'm pleased with the way it's turning out so far.
I was slightly concerned about the kit decals, as they are from 1999 and, being Academy, they can be rather thick, or break easily. These performed without problem, and were quite thin, rather like Microscale decals, and settled into the panel lines very well.
If the stencils, and particularly the wing-walk lines, perform as well as the first decals, then I'll be happy.

Thanks my friend.I'll cut the lines, and apply them separately - they're the 'dotted line' version, otherwise I'd just mask and paint them.

Thanks Glenn.
I've got about two thirds of the stencils and other decals applied, including one of the wing walk markings, these being the red, 'dotted line' type.
To prevent the decal folding or kinking, it was cut into two parts and applied separately. Took a little time and patience to align them, but they seem to have gone on OK.
I'll post pics when the remainder of the decals are done, sealed, and the model given a semi-matt clear coat, which will probably be tomorrow, as my eyes are feeling the strain after handling so many tiny decals !!

EDIT:- I forgot to mention - looking at the photos of Franziskket's aircraft, I don't think I can see any of the small frame numbers along the bottom of the fuselage. As with the 'Lift Here' stencil, at least one of these numbers would be covered by the green tail band, and the 'Frame 1' number, near the cockpit, would probably be covered by the mottle too. I realise that the photo reproductions aren't perfect, and the numbers might be there, but what do you chaps think ?
I have doubts about how the Academy numbers decals will perform, as there is minimal carrier film around them, although I have a spare set from the Tamiya 'Emil', but if they don't need to be applied, that'll be a bonus, as they can be a real PITA, and very time consuming, to apply accurately.

Last edited:
Looking very nice Terry! If I'm putting a gloss varnish over a matt finish I buff it towards satin with a soft cloth before applying the varnish. Need less coats to get a nice gloss finish that way.

Thanks, Kirby, Hugh and Wayne.

Any thought on those frame numbers chaps ?
I'll probably apply them anyway, but if they were not on the real aircraft, it'll save my hands some torture !

I think your pic of the aircraft is too far away to see them, even if they were there. In my opinion, the numbers would not have been replaced if mottling and RV bands were applied over them in the field. If the factory mottling was unaltered, the frame numbers would still be present. My opinion only with no basis in fact.

Thanks Andy, and I agree with your assessment.
I've added them anyway, or at least those not covered by the tail band, using the kit decals. Whether they stay on is another matter, as some of the smaller kit decals have very little carrier film, and don't want to adhere that well - a couple of the 'ZU -' cowling latch alignment decals were still moving hours after being applied and squeegeed !
All the decals are now done, and have been given a gloss clear coat to seal them - some, such as the upper wing crosses, wrinkled slightly in reaction to the gloss clear, but they seem to be settling down slowly.
I'll let the gloss coat cure for a few more hours, just in case, before spraying the semi-matt clear coat. Meanwhile, I'll get on with the undercart and prop etc.

Although the profile suggests the small numbers for fuselage section applied the enlarged pics don't confirm that.

bf109G-6.jpg

bf109G-6_.jpg

bf109G-6_a.jpg

However the tail shot reveals that these were applied usually .... but I agree with Andy the numbers could be overpainted or just hidden under the dirt and stains at the fuselage bottom.

Bf-109G6-8.JG1-Black-5-Alfred-Miksch-WNr-15429-July-1943-02.jpg

Thanks Wojtek.
I. too, enlarged the pics, and couldn't see the numbers, but of course the reproductions aren't that sharp, and also, if the numbers were there, they could, as you say, be obscured by grime and dirt.
I'll be adding some staining/underside grime etc when I do the detail painting, so I'll subdue the numbers a little, not that they're that noticeable, being so small.
All the decals are on and sealed, and now seem to have settled down properly, and the required re-touching has been done, including correcting the line of the camouflage demarcation on the cowling.
Tomorrow, I'll clean the model to remove any traces of decal adhesive or water marks, and spray the semi-matt clear coat..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back