**** DONE: GB36 - 1/48th Bf109G-6/R6 - Axis Manufactured aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That may well be Dennis, but every reference I have, including those by German authors, show the type as G-6/R6.
I would agree that a 'G-6R6' did not exist, but when written as G-6/R6, the 'forward slash' is acting as an abbreviation, simply being a more convenient way of presenting the addition of a particular modification or addition, rather than having it presented in the full text.

The grey infill on the cross would be RLM 75 in your case I think. No need to search for "grey" decals if you have some with just the white outline as it would be an easy matter of just continuing the camo colour into the cross infill with rough masking.

G-6/R6 did not exist, applying a Rüstsatz modification does not change the aircraft designation at all. That poor writing style was a a simplified postwar invention which led to a lot of confusion regarding subversions.
The /R number refers to Rüstzustand/Rüststand modification done at the factory. Thus a G-6 with Rüstsatz R6 is still a G-6, a G-6 delivered in Rüstzustand 2 is a G-6/R2 (recon bird, probably with MW50 boost system)

Dennis, whatever the correct designation, I am simply using the generally accepted, and recognised, presentation of a Bf109G-6 with Rustsatz 6, purely to indicate that the model will be completed with the two, 20mm cannon gondolas beneath the wings. I don't wish to enter into a pedantic discussion regarding correct presentation of titles, which may be annoying to you, just as the incorrect presentation or spoken title of some RAF Squadrons, when shown as, for example, 'the 56th Squadron', can be mildly irritating to me, when the correct form is '56 Squadron', something that doesn't cause me to lose sleep.

Andy, yes, I agree, that'll probably be the best way to get the 'grey' crosses. Those old decals I have probably don't match the paint anyway, and there's a very good chance that they'll break-up when immersed in water, even if clear-coated first.

Judging by the camouflage pattern, I would think that area would be RLM 75.
The '109E should have reached a stage, later tonight, where it'll be done except for the antenna wires, and I'll then leave it to ensure the antenna mast is fully set. Given I've reached that stage, I'll make a start on the 'Gustav'.

As my hands are still not quite up to the very delicate task of attaching the antenna wires to the 'Emil', I've made a start on the 'Gustav', starting with the cockpit.
The kit detail is reasonable, although basic, so it's been dressed up a bit, with the addition of the fuel line, some wiring and the oxygen system plumbing, along with the oxygen regulator instrument panel on the starboard side, whilst the port side got the throttle grip and mixture lever, throttle friction knob, throttle linkage, and some wiring. The floor has had the 'plunger' knobs for the fuel system added.

Pic 1. The knobs on the floor were made using stretched sprue, cemented into holes drilled into the consoles, and then flattened with a heated blade in an old scalpel.
PIC 2. Fuel line from stretched sprue, with clear stretched sprue representing the viewing tube. Wiring harness is lead wire, and the oxygen regulator filter tube is stretched sprue, with lead wire plumbing. The oxygen instrument panel, a piece of plastic card, will have the instrument faces added at the painting stage. A 'T' handle has also been added, which I think is the drop tank jettison handle, again using stretched sprue. A UV cockpit lamp has yet to be added above the electrical panel.
PIC 3. Throttle grip, mixture lever and friction knob on the throttle quadrant, throttle linkage below this, with the wiring again in lead wire. The small lever and rod, in black stretched sprue, is, I think, the canopy jettison handle and linkage.

Next step is to thin-down the sides of the seat a touch, and add the lap straps of the harness, then paint the cockpit, the details, and the instrument panel.

Fransisket build 013.JPG
Fransisket build 014.JPG
Fransisket build 016.JPG

Thanks very much chaps.
Yes Geo, I've always wondered about that - one small hit, and the pilot gets a face full of burning fuel. Current '109Gs, such as the one based in Germany (back-converted from a Buchon), and the once airworthy, but now static example at the RAF Museum, have dispensed with this, presumably on safety grounds, although I don't know which way the fuel line is now routed.

Anyway, the cockpit is almost done, with some slight modifications, and the basic painting completed.

PICS 1 and 2. The breech cover for the MG151 was a bit angular, and with a prominent joint between the two halves. This was filed and sanded to closer resemble the real thing.
PIC 3. Breech cover fitted, along with the rudder pedals. The seat pan had the walls thinned down, and the lap straps added from decal covering tissue.
PICS 4 and 5. I was rather wary of the open, empty look forward of the cockpit area, with the floor dropping away into the void of the nose, so the floor was extended with plastic card, and a half bulkhead added, before painting the whole lot, and adding the colour to the knobs, and a hand-painted placard on top of the breech cover. The floor section, and cockpit walls, were originally painted in Model Master RLM 66, but although this sprays very nicely, it doesn't seem to like being brushed, something I found with a couple of MM colours. The finish was streaky and almost translucent, even after stirring the paint for a good 6 or 7 minutes and, as I couldn't spray this area, due to some of the added fittings, I mixed some Humbrol paints and re-brushed the floor section, and the cockpit walls.
PICS 6 and 7. Cockpit walls and details painted, with the outer section of the trim/incidence wheels yet to be fitted. The finish looks much better to the naked eye, and should be good enough, as the canopy will probably be fitted in the closed position, depending on the quality of the fit.
PIC 8. Last job for the night was to add the cockpit air intake, beneath the windscreen area on the port side. This is simply a piece of stretched sprue, cemented in place and then trimmed to shape. It was easier to do with the fuselage half on the bench, rather than trying to do it with the fuselage joined.

The initial painting of the control column and instrument panel has also been done, with just the small details to add to the column, and the details to the instrument dials.
I've got a bit of a busy day today, so not sure if I'll get any more done now until the weekend, but I'll be back soon with a further up-date.
Thanks again for looking in.

Fransisket build 020.JPG
Fransisket build 022.JPG
Fransisket build 023.JPG
Fransisket build 026.JPG
Fransisket build 027.JPG
Fransisket build 029.JPG
Fransisket build 031.JPG
Fransisket build 032.JPG

Great looking pit Terry. Just a note that the forward end of the fuel line actually dove back down to the floor after the sight glass and just in front of the IP:

Capture.JPG

md_32002p.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back