**** DONE: GB36 - 1/48th Bf109G-6/R6 - Axis Manufactured aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Kirby.

I'll cover this up-date in two posts, as there are 12 pics to show.

PIC 1. First job before proceeding further, was to make and fit the shoulder harness straps. I'd run out of fine wire, and I didn't have much luck trying to make the anchor shackles with lead wire, so a bit of a cheat was called for. The straps were made from the foil from scalpel blade packaging, with the anchor shackles, and the fastening buckles, simulated by cutting the ends of the foil to a point. These were then pierced, the belts painted, and the adjusters painted on, before attaching with spots of CA. Not the best representation, but passable enough through a closed canopy.
PIC2. The canopy sections had the frames that would be visible from the outside, masked, and painted in RLM 66, with the 'panzerglas' head armour also painted, shown here with the masks removed from the 'window'.
A trial fit of the armour showed that the locating lugs on either side, would sit below the lower canopy frame, so these were trimmed to allow them to locate inside the frame, more of which later.
PIC 3. The 'panzerglas. head armour fitted into the main canopy section. Stretched sprue support brackets have been added to the rear.
PICS 4 to 6. Something had been bugging me about the windscreen, and it was whilst applying the masks that I realised what it was. The front, upper, horizontal frame was in the wrong place, being far to low on the front screen.
This was removed by carefully shaving with a new scalpel blade, and then the screen was polished using 'T-Cut' car body colour restorer. Once done, the excess, dried polish was cleaned off, and the windscreen section washed in luke-warm, soapy water, to remove any reside, before being dried and polished again, using a soft cloth.

Next post will show the gun sight, modified windscreen, and the canopy sections masked and fitted - which took a bit of furtling and fettling !

Fransisket build 087.JPG
Fransisket build 085.JPG
Fransisket build 095.JPG
Fransisket build 088.JPG
Fransisket build 091.JPG
Fransisket build 094.JPG

Moving on to finally getting the canopy sections in place, in the closed position.
The gun sight needed to be fitted first of course, and the kit item was about as useful as a chocolate tea pot, being more or less a flat piece of clear plastic, with a 'lump' for the reflector screen !
This was replaced with a spare item, which just happened to be from an Eduard Bf110 kit, that Karl provided with spares some time ago.

PIC 1. A poor shot, but this is the Academy kit sight.
PIC 2. The Eduard sight, which had the mould seam down the center of the reflector screen removed, and the screen polished and clear gloss coated.
This is a representation of the REVI 12/C, which may be correct, although from the '109G onwards, the REVI 16/B was normally fitted.
PIC 3. The sight painted and fitted, with the sun screen tinted using a mix of Tamiya green and blue clear paints. The mounting 'bracket' had to be shortened and trimmed to allow it to fit into the slot in the instrument panel, and dry-fitting of the windscreen was a must, to ensure that it cleared the sight.
PIC 4. The windscreen masked and in place, showing the re-positioned horizontal frame.
PIC 5. What the gun sight looks like under the windscreen.
PIC 6. All canopy sections masked and fitted, with some loss of the internal paint. The main canopy would not 'sit down' at the rear and, even though the head armour had been modified, after numerous test-fittings and adjustments, it transpired that the base of the armour was fouling the cockpit sill. This was very carefully trimmed along the length of the base, whilst hoping that the part was not dislodged, and a small notch was cut at the angle between the sill and the sloping edge of the fuselage, on each side, to allow the rear canopy section to fit properly. With this done, the canopy and rear glazing were attached with PVA, reinforced with a light bead of Tamiya extra thin cement, and the joints between the three sections were also sealed with a thin bead of PVA, to prevent any paint 'mist' creeping onto the inside. The frames will now be painted in the interior colour, RLM 66, which will also act as an undercoat for the camouflage colours.

Next step is to paint the rudder, and then mask when dry, before attaching the tail-planes, and preparing for the first painting stage.
I'll hopefully get this done tomorrow, when I'll be back with another underwhelming Gustav up-date.
Thanks again for looking.

Fransisket build 081.JPG
Fransisket build 083.JPG
Fransisket build 097.JPG
Fransisket build 101.JPG
Fransisket build 102.JPG
Fransisket build 105.JPG

Thanks chaps - I'm enjoying this !

Got a bit more done, with the cowling guns added and drilled out, some more detail engraving, and I decided to open the oil cooler exit, as it just didn't look right, being 'solid'.
Just having a quick break, before continuing, and painting the canopy frames, and then a clean-up ready to paint the rudder and the area for the RV band.
I haven't yet decided whether or not to mount the MG151/20 gondolas, less the barrels, so I'll do a trial fit and see if it would be better to fit them after painting. The barrels will be removed, and replaced with alloy tube.
I should have some pics later this evening.

I've decided that I will fit a drop tank afterall, using a spare from the Eduard Bf110 kit, and the cannon gondolas can be fitted after painting the model, but need some additions and improvements. Consequently, apart from the canopy frames, no further painting has been done yet, as some work is required on the drop tank rack, and around the gondola mounting points.
Once this is done, the rudder can be painted white, masked when dry, and the green RV band painted, before attaching the tail-planes and spraying the first colour, RLM 76, after the band has dried and been masked.

PIC 1. Regarding those tail-planes, and the relative location to the rudder hinge line, here is a better photo showing the arrangement, which matches the 'modification' I've decided on.
PIC 2. The kit provides only the muzzles for the MG131s, from the flash suppressor to just aft of the barrel nut, but they are adequate enough in this instance. The flash suppressors were drilled out as best as I could, given the tiny size of the parts, and relatively delicate material. Once painted, they should look acceptable.
PIC 3. The drop tank rack has had extra detail added, in the form of the attachment bolt housings, fuel and pressure line entry points, and the access apertures. The thinner sections of the sway braces are slightly too short for use with the intended tank parts, so these will be removed, and replaced with brass rod, to match the Eduard drop tank spacing.
PIC 4. I just couldn't leave the oil cooler exit vent as a 'solid' part, so the area aft of the already engraved shutter was cut away. It's a bit 'rough and ready', but better than nothing at all, and, being underneath, and partly masked by the drop tank, it should look good enough for the cabinet when everything is painted.
PIC 5. Canopy frames painted in the interior colour, RLM 66. These will, of course, ultimately be finished in the relevant camouflage colour.
PIC 6. The Eduard drop tank (at left) will be used, as it is more accurate for the period, and better detailed, than the kit parts (at right).
PIC 7. The kit parts for one of the MG151/20 gondolas. These are more or less OK in overall size and shape, but need some work around the ejector port and the blister over the feed mechanism. The 'solid' barrels will be removed, and replaced with alloy tube. Once assembled, they will be attached temporarily to the wings, and their outlines marked, before removing them. The outlined areas will then be masked until the model is painted and clear coated, when the masks can be removed, allowing a 'clean' fit of the gondolas to the wings.

That's all for now chaps, but I hope to have a further up-date tomorrow, perhaps with some painting done.

Gustav tail 2..jpg
Fransisket build 107.JPG
Fransisket build 111.JPG
Fransisket build 112.JPG
Fransisket build 109.JPG
Fransisket build 113.JPG
Fransisket build 114.JPG

I'd thought of getting some Eduard gondolas Andy, but as I started out to build this more or less OOB (yeah, right!), and want a 'relatively' quick build, I didn't bother.
But, it's another one that's reducing the stash, and with luck, in GB 37, I'll get one or two of my BoB subjects done, and in future GBs, all being well, I'll get some of the bigger projects completed, maybe even the 1/48th Lancaster and B-24 'mini' dioramas that have been planned for at least 5 years !

Thanks Kirby.
I should get the white rudder done, and probably the RV band tomorrow, but it'll probably be Thursday or Friday when the first camouflage colour gets done (RLM 76).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back