**** DONE: Ki-84 Hayate Koki Kawamoto IJAAF - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: Catch22
First name: Cory
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1:32
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Ki-84 Hayate "Frank"
Details: HQ Chutai of the 50th Sentai, Phnom Penh, Indochine
Aircraft Assignment: Major Koki Kawamoto (8+ Kills)
Accessories: None
Decals: Kit

Well, after a delay due to some personal medical things, here's my first entry into this GB! While the thread's being posted today, I actually started this on the 1st but I haven't been able to get onto the forum really at all, so you'll get a bunch of progress all at once. This is the Ki-84 of Koki Kawamoto, when he was in charge of the 50th Sentai in Indochina. He scored 8+ kills, but I haven't been able to find out a ton of detail on these, or him.

I'm basing the scheme off of this model and a profile: Nakajima Ki-84 Frank by Ron Cline (Hasegawa 1/32)

That said, I decided to go with a drab colour as opposed to the green that Cline used.

Some shots of the cockpit:

DSC_06792.jpg

DSC_06803.jpg

DSC_06842.jpg

DSC_06852.jpg

DSC_06863.jpg

DSC_06873.jpg

And now some of the flap modification, as the flaps are molded down on this kit, which was seldom seen on the ground, if ever.

e306c7a9.jpg

DSC_06813.jpg

DSC_06823.jpg

DSC_06833.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now some of the painting. To my horror I realized I missed masking part of the white band that runs around, so I'll have to add it in later. I also mixed the blue paint too thin and it bled through onto the white. :( Otherwise, painting went well!

DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0689.jpg

Looks kind of goofy here. :lol:

3188941b.jpg

DSC_0691.jpg

DSC_0692.jpg

DSC_0693.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

And that's where we sit! I'm going on holidays to Ontario on Saturday, and I was hoping to have it done by then, but I plan on doing a wash for the first time, and I have to do the prop and other weathering, so I don't think I'll make that timeline.

Top choice Cory and you have been busy, also hope your med problems are being sorted.

Last edited:
Nice choice.

Koki Kawamoto Bukosho (Medal of Honor, B Class)
Nbr. of Victories: 8
Prior to seeing combat in late 1943, Koki Kawamoto was an experienced flight instructor, having served with the Akeno Fighter School and the 106th Flight School in Formosa. Due to his exceptional flight experience, he rapidly rose through the ranks of the 50th Sentai, flying Ki-43's over French Indochina and Burma. In April 1945, Kawamoto took charge of the 50th Sentai, cammanding it through the end of the war. He was credited with eight victories, and was awarded the Bukosho (Medal of Honor, B Class) in June 1945.

http://www.warbirdcolors.com/get_aces.asp?J

Cory I luv the fact you are painting those markings instead of decals :thumbright: alittle bleeding but looks like a steady hand and proper dry time you will be able to pull it it off ;) Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back