**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got some work done on the landing gear, and should have some pics soon. Forgot to put the spare camera batteries on charge!!

Got some work done on the main landing gear, but still more to do yet.
PIC 1. One of the main wheel halves, showing the moulded cooling slots.
PIC 2. Work underway opening up the slots. These have since been filed smooth, the inner faces of both wheel halves painted matt black, and the wheels joined, awaiting painting of the rims and tyres.
PIC 3. One of the main gear legs as provided in the kit. The leg door supports are provided, and will be fitted later.
PIC 4. After initial clean-up, work is underway adding the brake lines and the anti-skid system loop pipes, using lead wire and thin copper wire. The wheel hub has also had small depressions filed around the circumference, to simulate the slightly 'scalloped' appearance of the real thing.
I've started painting the gear legs and door inner faces, which was trouble free after fitting the doors and supports. But I've hit a slight problem painting the wheel rims as, yet again, bl**dy Humbrol enamel is acting up, and refusing to dry! Hopefully it'll eventually sort itself out, and I can proceed further.
Thanks again for your interest, and I'll post more pics soon.

Attachments

• MiG 21 197.jpg
    MiG 21 197.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 87
  • MiG 21 198.jpg
    MiG 21 198.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 89
  • MiG 21 203.jpg
    MiG 21 203.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 81
  • MiG 21 201.jpg
    MiG 21 201.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 88
Thanks awfully old chap. Think I'll go back to bed for an hour or two - had to get up to take some pain killers, so thought I'd have a 'brew' and a squinny at the forum.

Thanks Wojtek. I've now got the main landing gear done, and also the nose wheel leg and wheel, although this needs some clean-up.
PIC 1. Shows the main gear, with the wheel rims painted Medium Green and some of the details picked out. There's still some retouching to be done, especially around the brake lines, which can't be seen in this shot, and the oleos - not happy with the chrome finish on those.
PIC 2. The nose wheel had some ejector pin marks on one side - what a pain to remove!
PIC 3. The assembled and painted nose gear leg, with the anti-skid device added from sprue, and the dual brake lines and looped connector pipe added from lead wire. The gear position indicator lamp and its wiring has been added to the starboard side, again using sprue and lead wire. The paint is still drying in this shot, and again, more re-painting is neccessary, as the superglue used to fix the lead wires had spread, not showing up until painted. Once the first coats have fully hardened, the leg, and the brake lines etc, will be re-painted.

Attachments

• MiG 21 205.jpg
    MiG 21 205.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 75
  • MiG21 A.jpg
    MiG21 A.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 71
  • MiG 21 212.jpg
    MiG 21 212.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 74

Users who are viewing this thread

Back