**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Note, similar antenna are moulded onto the fin top.

Yep..the antennas on the fin top are the second set of IFF antannas. Those two next were placed at the wing leading edges and on the sides of the fin. But these on the fin top and at the bottom of the nose were always flat.

Attachments

• IFF set 1.jpg
    IFF set 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Iff set 2.jpg
    Iff set 2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 175
I think the Project Kahu Skyhawks' IFF antennas under the nose were almost completely flat too (if I remember right). We later removed then as people kept walking into them! :)

Have to admit I thought it strange that a transmitter for pulse signals would have dipole antenna, as per the kit parts. As shown in Wojtek's pic, they would normally be blade aerials, which are common on many types.

I think it is the manufacturer's way for an easy path.Who can take care of a such small detail like the IFF antenna set? Nobody mostly.Am I right? But their shape was determeinated by the aerodynamic of supersonic aircraft.

A year! A bl**dy decade judging by the size of the average female Hippocroccofrog in this town!! (Shudders at the thought!).
I've put the B*st*rd Buc aside for now, and returned to the delicate MiG. Got all the joints sealed with PVA, and the outside of the jet pipe, and the RWR panels etc painted. Now that I've recieved my new airbrush, I can get on with the first stages of painting the airframe, hopefully tomorrow (Sunday). Pics soon hopefully.

Basically the same as before, an AB series, but this time with an adjustable 'stop' for repeatable fine-line work. Great company to deal with - they sussed out the problem with my 'old' one, and sent me a new fluid nozzle, free of charge, with the new brush! So now I have the new one, plus the old one which has lost a bit of it's fine-line capability due to filing the needle, but still works fine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back