**** DONE: MiG 21 PF 'Fishbed D', Moscow District PVO Aviation Fighter Regiment, 1967

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep... these "natural metal" finished planes look brilliant but are very difficult to achieve the correct effect. A guy , whom model of PF variant I have seen, used Testors 1401 - aluminium for the main surfaces, Testors 1405 Gun metal and 1415 Burnt metal for the exchaust pipe. The weathering was made with acrylic paint Gun matal.

You're right Wojtek. Doing an actual bare metal finish isn't a problem, but doing a painted silver finish which doesn't look like a failed attempt a bare metal can be tricky!
I'll be using a mix made from Humbrol enamels, metallic and 'solid' colour, which I think should work well - time will tell!

Always do Glenn! Got an old 1/32nd scale P51 which now weighs more than Jan's wallet, due to layers of paint!!

Seven and a half hours work, and she's getting nearer to the painting stage. It doesn't look much, but the forward speed brakes are fitted, in the closed position, as are the ventral fin and rear fuselage intakes, the latter having been drilled or hollowed out. The wings and tail-planes are on, and the aileron's and flaps installed, the latter in the neutral position, correct for a parked aircraft. I was all set to scratch-build the underside Fowler flap tracks, when I discovered the parts are included in the kit. Bonus!
PIC 1. The three dipoles for the I.F.F. antenna were nicely moulded into one fuselage half - until I forgot they were there and wiped them out, putting down the heavily-weighted model! Holes have now been drilled to accept antenna to be made from stretched sprue later.
PIC 2. Forward speed brakes, awaiting a little tidy-up. The two circular engravings immediately above the port brake are the fuelling point valves, the rear one of which will need to be removed, as this version of the MiG 21 only had one.
PIC 3. Some of the lumps and bumps added to the rear end, with the intakes drilled out.
PIC 4. The deployment tracks for the Fowler flaps. To the rear of this is a hydraulic valve which, in a photo Wojtek sent me, is shown as a circular depression inside the fuselage 'hole', with the valve in the centre. This has been replicated on the model by countersinking the engraved 'hole', and part-drilling a smaller hole centrally.
PIC 5. More lumps and bumps on the bottom surfaces. I spent a considerable time modifying the trailing edge of the ventral fin, only to discover I had been looking at a picture of an earlier model! Doh!
It'll be corrected later!
PIC 6. How the model looks to date. When everything has set, a few very tiny gaps will be sealed with my varnish and talc 'porridge', and then the model set aside whilst some attention is given to the ejection seat, landing gear, stores pylons etc. I also need to make some progress with the Buccaneer and Typhoon.
Thanks again for the compliments and your interest.

Attachments

• MiG 21 091.jpg
    MiG 21 091.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 113
  • MiG 21 092.jpg
    MiG 21 092.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 109
  • MiG 21 081.jpg
    MiG 21 081.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 96
  • MiG 21 085.jpg
    MiG 21 085.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 99
  • MiG 21 090.jpg
    MiG 21 090.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 112
  • MiG 21 089.jpg
    MiG 21 089.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 110
Terry, actually these IFF antennas were flat like these in the pic below. The second antenna set for the third range of IFF device was at the top of the fin and looked the same.

Attachments

• Mig21 iff bottom set.jpg
    Mig21 iff bottom set.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Now, there's a man who knows his MiGs to the tiniest details. Great stuff Wojtek, as always.

Also, I agree with everyone. Model coming along nicely Terry. 8):thumbright:

Thanks very much guys, and thanks once again Wojtek. The pics I have of the I.F.F. antenna I think are an earlier version, and it's difficult to tell if they're 'round' or flat. The pic you posted makes things a lot clearer - and easier!
Note, similar antenna are moulded onto the fin top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back