DONE: RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair NZ5255 ,Flt/Sgt R L.Bayly No.21 Sgn/4 Su Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Will do Wayne! just brought a 1L bottle for $5 and although I'm not gonna take its word for it ,it says you can use it for thinning paints

Will definately test it first

Got some 'interior green' on just before

Looks darker in real life -think the flash sets it off

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 127
Looking godd Daniel, and good tip Cory.
Turps should be ok, but test it first. You'll probably find it's synthetic turps, or turps substitute - most of it is these days, as it's too expensive, and not 'green' to get it from trees anymore. If it's the synthethetic or subsititute, then there's definitely no problem. If it's blue, test it, but it should be fine.

Cheers guys

At first Cory I didn't know what you meant and you had me a little worried-but just realised you meant the 2 pieces behind the cockpit? -I hope so .I just painted them cause there was paint to be used up and I knew I wasn't gonna be using them

Pretty pleased with how its going -the paint's come up looking kinda 'sweated' cockpit will go together later on

Sweet - just took a look at the cockpit again ,paints a little tacky .Gonna wait til its fully cured before I go putting the instrument decals on

I don't think turps and decals mix to well

That tells me it IS real turps then Daniel, if it's taking longer to dry. When you use it again, make sure you really stir the paint and turps well before either brushing or spraying, and only do thin coats, leaving time for each to dry thoroughly. It'll be OK when fully dried, and won't affect the decals. It's really a bit 'harsh' for modelling paints, as the latter are of a thinner viscosity and formulation. Turps is really for use with 'domestic' paints, such as used for painting woodwork etc in houses. Although turps will work, in future, if you can't find enamel thinners, get 'White Spirit' often also marked as, or just as, 'Turpentine Substitute'.

Thanks for the advice Terry -will take it onboard

Tried to get the instrument decals on.....:lol: Let them sit in the water for at least 5 minutes and still they were stuck to the sheet .On the instructions it says to dip them in tiped water for 10seconds :shock: and then slide them off -major wtf

Anyway I ended up painting the instruments black -tried to weather up the cockpit too

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 109
Looks great Daniel. Should the instrument panel not be black? I don't know enough about the various models of Corsair to know of some had Interior Green panels though.

Oh F***

Don't tell me I just spent all that time getting that paint on those instruments ,don't.

On the other hand ,I could paint it black and have white instruments -Evan or Cory help! Il have a look round

EDIT: well looks like I did -will repaint it tomorrow DAMMIT

Last edited:
Yeah I know that (now) oh well -you live and live ....and get pissed off

Seen it before -but yeah its a dam nice build ,thanks

I don't know about the colours hes used (although RNZAF Corsairs colour can very quite abit so its just a big guessing game)-also not too sure about the spinner being red -a photo I've got doesn't look like its red -I think he did that becuase he mentioned he'd been to a Warbirds over Wanaka ,where the Corsair there had a red spinner

Just painted the instrument and some other little panels black -pics tomorrow when

Users who are viewing this thread

Back