DONE: RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair NZ5255 ,Flt/Sgt R L.Bayly No.21 Sgn/4 Su Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair NZ5255 ,Flt/Sgt R L.Bayly No.21 Sgn/4 Su

My third and final entry using tamiya's kit -Will be completed by june 10 for a birthday gift

Category: 2
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: F4U-1A
Details: RNZAF F4U-1A Corsair NZ5255 ,Flt/Sgt R L.Bayly No.21 Sgn/4 Su

29/8/44 Aircraft was lost while Flt/Sgt R.L Bayly was strafing southwest of Bougainville -Japanese A/A fire brought him down -the aircraft was lost in the sea and W/o .The pilot was also lost

I got the kit yesterday and made a start removing the cockpit pieces in doing so I broke the pedals .I then fixed it all for approx 2 seconds later to realise there was a second set.......](*,)

Also got the engine ready for painting

Having aquired Warren Russel's book on RNZAF Corsairs I'm gonna go with Humbrol paints as thats what I've got and what the paint charts in the book refer to -Question ,That humbrol thinners stuff you get from model shops (the expensive sh!t) is there a cheaper alternative?? Thinking about it ,its rediculous how much you get for $5 odd bucks

Heres the kit and book -will get a shot up of the decals when they arrive -they're in the mail

Attachments

• RussellCorsair[1].jpg
    RussellCorsair[1].jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 327
Last edited by a moderator:
Woops! :oops: Thanks and sorry Wojtek!

Got the center section together tonight ,played round dry fitting stuff

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 251
It's a lovely kit Dan! Goes together without too many issues. Looking forward to this one! :thumbleft:

Cheers mate!

Might get abit more maybe later today depending on when I fall asleep

Sucks having paint but not the thinners!!! could I use 'turps' as a substitute to 'humbrol thinners' ???? Terry!! Help!!

Cheers mate -Its bloody great! ,proberly the best book there ever will be on RNZAF Corsairs

Ugh Dan, after seeing yours, the one in my closet it eating me alive. I want to build it right now!

I kow what ya mean - even though I can't start painting anything -I've tried to put together as much as possible

This kit just says 'Make me'

Sucks having paint but not the thinners!!! could I use 'turps' as a substitute to 'humbrol thinners' ???? Terry!! Help!!

Daniel I checked in an old book about modelling and there was stated thatTerpentin could be used as the Humbrol thinner. Much better it would be used an oil Terpentin.Anyway I suggest get a few drops of any humbrol paint and mix with Terpentin and then apply on a piece of the mould frame. Make your focus on the paint and its influence on plastic surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back