**** DONE: Spitfire Mk. I P9306 ZP H of No 74 Squadron Battle of Britain Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a lit guys
Looking smooth there Glenn. The shade looks more like one of the other batch of colours used, duck egg green (eau d'nil), but it could be the lighting or monitor reproduction. I've just noticed that Tamiya have moulded the outboard guns with the muzzles protruding. This was the original fit, but a mod was carried out, I think by just removing the muzzle compensator (I'd need to check), so that the barrel was totally inside the wing. There were, as ever, exceptions though, so I'd just leave it as is.
Terry the paint does look greener in those pics then it really is. The paint is Testors Model master Sky type "S". I used the same jar that I used on the Spit in the picture below which was taken in full sunlight. As far as the guns I intend to cut them off and put the red tape patches over them.

P5091859[1].JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn, I thought it would probably be the lighting. BTW, the 'Type S' was applied to all the paint colours used, and means 'Smooth Matt'. Previously, the matt paints had been of a coarser 'grain', giving a dusty, sooty appearance, which not only weathered quicker, but affected performance, if only marginally.
The 'new' paints were not as coarse, and were not quite a dead matt. The Sky seems to have hung on to the 'Type S' in it's description as a distinguishing feature between the other paints used at the time, such as Sky Blue, Duck Egg Green etc.

Thanks for the info Terry

Today I masked off the Sky underside and sprayed Medium Sea Gray on the sides of the fuselage where the codes will go, then spent 2 hours hand cutting the masks for the codes out of Tamiya tape.

P9053166.JPG
P9063167.JPG
P9063168.JPG
P9063169.JPG

Last edited:
Bl**dy good masking job Glenn ! That's something I'm going to have to do, twice, on the 1/32nd scale Hurricanes, as I'm also re-painting an existing model in Josef Stehlik's colours, to go to the museum, with the Ju88. Since this stupid disease got worse, the days of me free-hand painting code letters are virtually over, although I can still manage some letter shapes, given I have easy access. I suppose I could buy a Medium Sea Grey code letter decal sheet in 1/32nd scale, but I am not paying £10 only to use six letters ! If they were 'Spitfire' size, then it wouldn't be so bad, as I'd get more use out of them !

Brilliant job Glenn. I like this.:thumbright: Your work on the code letters is the proof there is always a thing we can do ourself.

Last edited:
Where do you get these extra strong reading glasses Glenn? And do they have them in 'Jodrell Bank radio telescope' power ?!!

Nice work on the masks. I should probably do the same for mine but I don't have the patience.:D

Didn't get to the first camo color as soon as I thought I would. First I painted the outer wing leading edges yellow, then wile it was drying I masked the canopy parts. In the last picture the yellow on the wings has been masked off and the coat of Dark Earth has been sprayed on. I'll give it a few days to cure then work on the masking for the Dark Green.

P9073172.JPG
P9113173.JPG
P9113179.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back