**** DONE: Spitfire Mk. I P9306 ZP H of No 74 Squadron Battle of Britain Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep. This aircraft was issued direct from the MU to 74 Squadron on 6th July 1940, so would be finished as per the markings you are using.
The evidence in the pic Karl posted, suggests it was taken during the winter of 1939 - 1940; early roundels without yellow outline, early 'straight' radio masts (replaced by late June early July, August latest on this Squadron), ground personnel wearing greatcoats with collars upturned, permanent hangar in background.
The Squadron codes changed at the outbreak of war from 'JH' to 'ZP', and they were based at Hornchurch (a permanent airfield), with detachments to Rochford (a forward, 'temporary' base), before moving moving to Leconfield (permanent airfield) at the end of May, then back to Rochford on 6th June, then Hornchurch again on 25 June.
They moved north to Wittering (12 Group) on 14 August, for a so-called 'rest', then further north again to Kirton-in-Lindsay, in Lincolnshire, on 21 August until 9 September, when they moved again, this time to Coltishall, in Norfolk !
They didn't return south, to Biggin Hill, until 15 October.
So, that almost certainly means the pic is at Hornchurch and, if in 1940, very early due to the perceived weather conditions and the markings which, of course, means that 'your' kite can't be any of those in the pic.
However, I might have some pics around, and there might even be one of 'your' aircraft, in the book I loaned to Jan, so I'll see what I find, and post anything if I do.

Great info Terry. I'm glad I can use the Decals I have. I had already looked through my spairs and couldn't find the earlier type.
I painted out the yellow on the wings last night so can start with masking for the green camo now.

your dead right Dogsbody the caption says 74 Sqdn at Hornchurch in early 1940 !
couple of hundred years ago and you'd be burned as a witch !!!!!!!!:shock:

sorry Glenn promise i'll try harder next time :lol:

Brilliant bit of ferriting Terry. I know you have a truck load of reference detail stacked away but to find all that info must have taken some time, well done mate.

Need some help with a spitfire camo pattern
I went to start masking for the dk. green intending to use the guide that came with the kit (Picture 1), but took a look at the pictures of the spit as it is today at the Museum (Pictures 2 3) thinking that when it was repainted later in the war the same camo pattern would be followed. The pattern on the fuselage was indefinite, but the wings looked to be a mirror image of the diagram in the kit. I know that somewhere I had read about "A" pattern and "B" pattern and that it was determined my the serial being odd or even.
So my questions are;
1) is there anything to the "A"/"B" pattern- odd/even serial relationship and if so which pattern goes with odd and even?
2) What is an "A" pattern, and a "B" pattern?
3) Is it plausible that when the aircraft was repainted later in the war that the same pattern was followed?
4) If so I was planing on using the pattern in the 4th picture that I found on line. It seems to fit what is on the spit today. Does this seem OK?
Please pardon my ignorance of RAF paint schemes. Before this build, I always just followed the painting instructions in the kit and now with no picture of the spit at the time, trying to reconstruct a plausible scheme is giving me a headache! :banghead:

1.jpg
2.JPG
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
Never trust the colour scheme on a museum aircraft! No disrespect, but particularly a British aircraft in the USA ! I've seen some very spurious finishes on restored aircraft !
The Museum finish bears little resemblance to the pattern used in the BoB, even if it was in the colours of that period.
The profile and instruction sheet look about right, but if you have a look at the post covering RAF camouflage and markings in the BoB, in the 'BoB Bits Box' thread, you'll get the answer.

I took the day off and did quite a bit on the Spitfire. I installed the new tip in the airbrush and decided to try the blue tack/paper method of masking to give a very slight feathered edge between the dark earth and the dark green camo. I had never tried this before and didn't realize just how much time it would take to mask it.

Pictures 1 2 show the masking in place.

Picture 3 shows it after the green was sprayed.

Pictures 4 5 Show the blue tack masking removed. Turned out pretty good, but I don't know if the difference between this and straight masking is worth all the extra time involved.

Pictures 6 7 after all the masking was removed

Pictures 8 9 are closeups of the codes which I think turned out pretty good.

Picture 10 is the underside. I still have to over paint the yellow wing edges with sky.

01 PA083237.JPG
02 PA083238.JPG
03 PA083240.JPG
04 PA083241.JPG
05 PA083242.JPG
06 PA083243.JPG
07 PA083246.JPG
08 PA083244.JPG
09 PA083245.JPG
10 PA083247.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread