**** DONE: Spitfire Mk. I P9306 ZP H of No 74 Squadron Battle of Britain Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! Been gone for the weekend but will work on it some more tonight.
I agree. Looks great Glenn. The codes turned out beautifully. Any tips before I embark on mine?
Andy, the 3rd and fourth pictures in post #104 show how I did it. Put 2 pieces of masking tape on a cutting board parallel, the height of the code letters apart to use as a guide, then put a piece of wide Tamiya Tape cross ways on top of it. I then used a pencil to draw the outline of the letters, then when satisfied with the look and shape of them I cut them out with an X-acto knife, peel them from the cutting board and stick then on the model. Just takes patience and at least an uninterrupted hour. Took me longer because I live in a house of noisy people :lol:

Thanks Glenn. I may actually try to use the kit decals for templates for the DW-O letters. My other idea is to make my own decals by scanning the kit decals and changing the colour in Photoshop. I may end up going that route as it's less work.

Andy, you'll probably find that the density of the code letters will not hold very well on clear decal sheet, once transferred to the model. When I've tried these in the past, I've had to overpaint each letter, either before use (with acrylics paint), or once on the model (enamels).

Did a little work on the canopy and gun sight tonight.
12) Canopy first painted interior green then dark green.
34) Painted gun sight still on the spru then installed.
5) Windscreen and back part of canopy installed.

PA123450.JPG
PA123452.JPG
PA123453.JPG
PA123456.JPG
PA123457.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Andy

I have a Spitfire question I hope someone knows the answer to (Are you out there Terry!)
Picture 1 shows the exhaust stacks on the Spit I'm modeling as it hangs in the museum today with fishtail shaped stacks.
Picture 2 shows the stacks included in the Tamiya Mk 1 Spit kit. I have a Tamiya Mk Vb Spit kit with the fishtail stacks that I can swipe (Picture 3) The question is: Is it possible that my spit had the fishtail exhausts installed at the time of the BoB or was that type only seen later, and the fishtail stacks on the spit were installed after, maybe with and engine change?

P3291351.JPG
PA123459.JPG
PA123462.JPG

Last edited:
The 'fish tail' exhausts were a later fitting, first being on production MkVs, and retro to MkIIs. The 'straight' exhausts provided in the kit are the correct type for the Merlin III of the BoB period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back