**** DONE: Spitfire Mk. I P9306 ZP H of No 74 Squadron Battle of Britain Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks a lit guys
Terry the paint does look greener in those pics then it really is. The paint is Testors Model master Sky type "S". I used the same jar that I used on the Spit in the picture below which was taken in full sunlight. As far as the guns I intend to cut them off and put the red tape patches over them.

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn, I thought it would probably be the lighting. BTW, the 'Type S' was applied to all the paint colours used, and means 'Smooth Matt'. Previously, the matt paints had been of a coarser 'grain', giving a dusty, sooty appearance, which not only weathered quicker, but affected performance, if only marginally.
The 'new' paints were not as coarse, and were not quite a dead matt. The Sky seems to have hung on to the 'Type S' in it's description as a distinguishing feature between the other paints used at the time, such as Sky Blue, Duck Egg Green etc.

Thanks for the info Terry

Today I masked off the Sky underside and sprayed Medium Sea Gray on the sides of the fuselage where the codes will go, then spent 2 hours hand cutting the masks for the codes out of Tamiya tape.

Last edited:
Bl**dy good masking job Glenn ! That's something I'm going to have to do, twice, on the 1/32nd scale Hurricanes, as I'm also re-painting an existing model in Josef Stehlik's colours, to go to the museum, with the Ju88. Since this stupid disease got worse, the days of me free-hand painting code letters are virtually over, although I can still manage some letter shapes, given I have easy access. I suppose I could buy a Medium Sea Grey code letter decal sheet in 1/32nd scale, but I am not paying £10 only to use six letters ! If they were 'Spitfire' size, then it wouldn't be so bad, as I'd get more use out of them !

Brilliant job Glenn. I like this. Your work on the code letters is the proof there is always a thing we can do ourself.

Last edited:
Nice work on the masks. I should probably do the same for mine but I don't have the patience.

Didn't get to the first camo color as soon as I thought I would. First I painted the outer wing leading edges yellow, then wile it was drying I masked the canopy parts. In the last picture the yellow on the wings has been masked off and the coat of Dark Earth has been sprayed on. I'll give it a few days to cure then work on the masking for the Dark Green.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread