**** DONE: Spitfire Mk.VIII "Fargo Express" Lt. L.P. Molland 308th FS - Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

P9115596.JPG
For all you guys down there hanging by your toes :lol:

Last edited:
Recent progress on the Spit.
(You guys from down under will have to rotate the pics yourself) :lol:

First two pictures show the lower cowl installed with rough filing done. It still will need some filling and I will somehow have to rebuild the sides of the intake which were molded so thin that they disappeared. The last three show my progress with the filling and sanding. The wing fillet trailing edge had to be totally rebuilt by applying multiple applications of CA and filing it to a sharp edge. The wing tips were not as much trouble as I thought they would be and turned out pretty good. I hope that it all will look as good when I spray on a little paint to look for imperfections.

P9135600.JPG
P9135601.JPG
P9135602.JPG
P9135604.JPG
P9135605.JPG

Last edited:
Getting there Glenn. As for the carb intake, I would tackle this by filing it flat then gluing on a piece of thick card with a hole drilled in the center then trimming and filing it to shape. But that's just me.

I decided to try something new I had been thinking about to rebuild the intake, being able to fall back on Andy's idea if it didn't work. What I did is make up the vent walls by inserting very small pieces of paper towel (1/16 by 1/16" or smaller) soaked in CA glue into the inside of the intake. Kind of like CA paper mache. After hitting it with accelerator I trimmed of the excess length with a sprue cutter and built it up a little with more CA, and filed the face flat after more accelerator. I then filed the outside to the proper contour, and cleaned up the inside with a sharp hobby knife.
I wish I had thought to take pictures as I went through this, but I was so wrapped up in trying to make it work I didn't think about it until it was done. It wasn't easy to make those little CA soaked bits of paper go where I wanted them to, let alone stay there until I could hit them with the accelerator. The picture below is after I had wet sanded it with 400-grit sandpaper. It still needs some sanding before the paint.

P9155607.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back