**** DONE: Spitfire MkVb,31st FG,USAAF - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Florence

Senior Airman
Sep 27, 2009
NSW, Australia
User name: Florence
Name: David
Category: Beginner
Kit: Tamiya Spitfire Vb
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: Eagle Strike decals 'American Spitfires' #48058

Despite my poor record at finishing on time I will attempt to model an American Spitfire Mk Vb coded MX*R of the 307th Fighter Squadron, 1st Fighter Group during the summer of 1942. This was one of the first USAAF units to reach England and was equiped with various marks of Spitfires. Some, such as this example, being transferred from RAF service. The decal sheet states this unit was based at Manston but my googling says first Atcham (June 1942) and then Biggin Hill (August 1942).

boxart.jpg

tam_spit5_parts1.jpg
tam_spit5_parts2.jpg
tam_spit5_parts3.jpg

decalshhet2.jpg

decalshhet1.jpg

mxr.jpg

1/48 is not my usual scale.
Wish me luck.

David.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree! Those Tamiya Spits are fantastic kits. I've made 2 Mk.1's and have a Mk.Vb on the shelve which I might build for the Spitfire marks GB. This will be an interesting one. Will be watching!

Good Luck !!! looking forward to the assembling.

Great choice, and a very nice kit too. I did this one using the Airfix Spit MkVb many years ago. Note that the fuselage roundels still have the yellow surround, legacy of the RAF roundels which were over-painted, and this does not seem to be present on the artwork for the decals.
Atcham was a training base in Shropshire, UK, the remains of which are now an industrial estate, and was where most US fighter units did their 'working up' before going to front-line duties.

Note that the fuselage roundels still have the yellow surround, legacy of the RAF roundels which were over-painted, and this does not seem to be present on the artwork for the decals.
Was wondering about that, thanks Terry. The decal sheet doesn't show the yellow surrounds but states that the RAF insignia have been overpainted with fresh Ocean Grey. Would the star have been painted straight over the roundel hence the yellow ring? The wing roundels are shown painted over as they are only replaced with a star on one side. The photo above of MX*R does show a ring around the fueslage star and am happy for it to be yellow. If they had the paint out to cover some markings why not over paint the lot? Still looking for more info.
Also wondering about the yellow on the leading edge of the wings? From what I have read so far it seems it was an individual aircraft thing - some retained the RAF yellow leading edge and some were painted over. Any ideas?

David.

Thanks Wurgs. I hadn't come across a decent profile yet. Interestingly it shows the yellow surround and leading edges. More food for thought.

David.

Interestingly it shows the yellow surround and leading edges.

David.

I think it might be incorrect. Here you are a larger shot of the Spitfire and its caption I have found in Ventura Classic warbird 3 American Spitfire camouflage and markings vol.1 book.

US Spitfire  MkVb MXoR.jpg

US Spitfire  MkVb MXoR text.jpg

Last edited:
I think it might be incorrect.

Thanks Wurger. Never trust a profile hey. That is a much better picture. The surround is not so defined after all. Indeed an overpainted roundel giving that halo effect? Considering the timeline -

USAAFmarkingstimeline.jpg

Came across these in a book 'American Eagles' by Tony Holmes and for the purpose of this discussion -

AmericanEaglesbyTonyHolmes1.jpg
AmericanEaglesbyTonyHolmes2.jpg

The first shots dated Ocober 42 clearly show the surrond around the star while the second pic dated September 42 shows no yellow surround but maybe a faint trace around the edge of an overpainted roundel. The aircraft are from different squadrons but same FG, same time and place. I hope all this makes sense.

So were does that leave the leading edges? To yellow or not to yellow? That is the question.

Another question if I may? Concerning the 307th FS insignia that is just visible in the first pic on the cockpit door - was it applied to both sides? Or just the door? Decal sheet says both sides but I suppose I am looking for confirmation.

Thanks again for your advice and input,

David.

Last edited:
Humm... these yellow rings were ordered and introduced in the 8th AF on 1st December 1942. By the time these could be or not. The 307th squadron seems to have them overpainted while the 308th one did or didn't , for instance. However a picture of Spitfire MXoM dated on August 1942 , shows the 2" yellow ring addeded to 30" USAAF cocarde substituted. But there is an image of Spitfire MXoD that shows the USAAF cocarde without the yellow ring too. Like the date of taking the MXoR shot, the picture is datad on July/August 1942. According to that it seems that the 307th Squadron had the RAF roundels replaced with the USAAF cocarde and overpainted the yellow remains at that time.

Concerning the squadron emblem.... the WXoD had it painted at the port side only. So.. I think it was applied on one side only. As far as the yellow leading edges of wings are concerned.... Also I think these weren't removed. The MXoD had even still applied a foundation inscription that were quite popular painted on all founded English aircraft .

Additionally ... here you are a profile of MXoR I found in the Ventura Publication book.

Attachments

• US Spitfire MkVb MXoR_profile1.jpg
    US Spitfire MkVb MXoR_profile1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Thanks again Wurger. As this was one of the first Spitfires transferred to the Americans and given the timeline of July/August 1942 it becomes clearer and I would suggest that the profile you posted is pretty much spot on. The only reference I have found to the FS insignia is that it was applied to the cockpit door but no mention of the starboard side. If the yellow leading edges were an idenification mark would they have remained for that purpose? noting that the Sky fuselage band was nearly always left intact.

David.

I think all these quick ID elements have been left as they were important for all allied pilot figting over England.

And here is the next shot of the Spitfire WZ-Y of the 309th FS. It can be noticed that the yellow ring was overpainted.

usaaf-spitfire-31st-fg.jpg

And here you are a Spitfire of the 308th FS. No yellow ring too. But its trace can be noticed though.

308th%20Buz%20Job%2042.jpg

Last edited:
Found these of the 307th looks the same time period to me.

spitfire_08.jpg
spitfire_07.jpg

Note yellow leading edge of wing. No squadron insignia visible on cockpit door?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back