**** DONE: XF-85 Goblin. Parasite Fighter Prototype. Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wish I had some of those H section beams now, but in the last 5 years all the hobby shops near me have closed up and The nearest one that has evergreen is way north of me and I couldn't get there until the weekend if then. I'm making due now by making up the beam sections with card I had on hand and its working out pretty good and I think it will look at least as good as the resin would have were it not messed up, if not better. It would have gone faster though if I had a stock of those beam sections on hand. I'll have to buy some in various sizes next time I get to the HS

Glenn if you ever need any just shout. My shop has just about all the evergreen plastic sheets :lol: but its about 30 minutes away because I live in a pretty remote area of Jersey......3,000 people in my town

Thanks guys, the real thing was made up out of structural steel and if there is one thing I know about it's fabricating something out of structural steel.(bridge construction inspector) I just made it like I would have made up the real thing (bolts not included).
And thanks for the offer Harrison. My hobby shop is about an hour away, and its a great one. the problem is a trip there and back with the required looking around is 3 hours and I'm lucky to get an uninterrupted hour to work on my builds.

Nice looking scratchbuild Glenn.

The way things are going in our hobby, we'll be lucky to have ANY hobby shops available to us in the future. The combination of not as many peiople interested and the availabilty of on-line supplies is killing the local folk. I hate to pay more for kits and supplies at the local place but I do now and then just to help out, I'd hate for him not to be there.

True I buy all my kits online, well unless there's something really good at the LHS. But I get my building, painting, and other materials.

The way things are going in our hobby, we'll be lucky to have ANY hobby shops available to us in the future. The combination of not as many peiople interested and the availabilty of on-line supplies is killing the local folk. I hate to pay more for kits and supplies at the local place but I do now and then just to help out, I'd hate for him not to be there.

I totally agree with you Andy. When I was a kid there were three shops that I could ride my bike to and now there's only a handful in the whole Chicago area, and none near me. Every chance I get to get to one I will by kits that I know I can get cheaper on line, because I don't want the shop to go the way of all the others. And there is nothing on the Internet to compare to spending time walking around looking at the kit boxes.

P7282353.JPG
P7282354.JPG
More work on the cart tonight (my wife thinks I'm crazy for spending so much time on the thing that holds up the airplane).
The light gray parts are the kit parts, all the white is scratch-built. Still a minor details to be added and it will be ready to paint. The XF-85 fits pretty good.

Last edited:
Fantastic scratch build on the cart and the Goblin looks great as well. Are you going to add the front release mechanism to the plane?

Thanks everyone!
Fantastic scratch build on the cart and the Goblin looks great as well. Are you going to add the front release mechanism to the plane?

Yes I am Dwight. The hook is cast very nicely in resin (as opposed to the resin cart parts) It's very delicate so I'm waiting to the last to put it on.

P7292355.JPG
Thanks guys!
Just a little more work tonight. I didn't want the Goblin permanently mounted to the cart so after some thought I came up with a way for it to be removable. There are little triangle shaped brackets that are the connections between the aircraft on either side of the nose and the cart "A" frames. These were resin parts that were supposed to be glued to the aircraft and the cart. I made up new ones from 3 layers of plastic sheet with a little piece of cut paper clip sandwiched between them. The brackets will be glued to the top s of the carts "A" frames and I will drill small corresponding holes in the Goblin to except the pins, holding the little jet up. By spreading the "A" frames apart a little the plane will be released and the holes should not be very noticeable. They're only tiny little parts but they took me almost an hour to make!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back