Farewell to a Friend...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
It was a sad day for me today, because I had to put down my dog Libi. Problems started about two weeks ago when I noticed she was loosing her appetite. As the older dogs tend to eat less with the years I didn't think of this as a problem at first. Then she got something we thought to be nose infection causing her the problems with breathing. However, when therapy didn't work additional tests showed something rapidly growing in her lungs pressing it and literally suffocating her. Her condition rapidly worsened over the weekend. By this point she stopped to eat and drink completely and was being given the infusions. Today I decided to end her suffering as it was unbearable to watch her struggling with pain for every breath. I was holding her and caressing her on the head. She went away instantaneously. She's at peace now.

After 12 years with us she was more then just a pet or even a best friend. She was family. Never had such devoted and good dog as my Libi.

Attachments

• Libi_001.jpg
    Libi_001.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Libi_002.jpg
    Libi_002.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Libi_003.jpg
    Libi_003.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 84
Sorry to hear,always a sad time when your bud goes,one of the crappiest feelings that i have felt. hang in there..

I'm verry sorry to hear about your dog Igor. Hang in there.

I've had dogs all my life and it never gets any easier, in fact, just the opposite. Breena, my IW, is only 2yo but their life span is 6 - 8 years so this hits closr to home.
Sincere condolences

Thank you kindly my friends. Your words brings me much comfort.

My little Libi went through a lot... I saved and adopted her when she was just a small puppy. There were four puppies at first. Their mother was a stray dog hanging around the neighborhood and gave birth to them in some abandoned house. When I first found them I started bringing them food and water. I had two dogs of my own at that time and couldn't take them myself, but was trying to figure out how to find them a permanent home and take them of the street. One day when I came home went as usual to see them, but they were nowhere to be found. After long search I found just one puppy with a bullet hole in it's head! I buried it and was going to leave when another puppy showed up whimpering. She had bullet wound in one leg. I took her home, nursed her to health and eventually decided to keep her giving her name Libi (in English that could be written "Libbie" I guess). Never seen the mother and other two puppies again.

We had many happy years with Libi afterwards. There were some problems along the way - she was hit by a car once, but went with only light injuries. Three years ago she was operated from the mammary glands tumor, but recovered nicely and we never had the cause to think that disease would return in any form up until two weeks ago. What pains me the most is the fact that it came without warning and so fast we couldn't do much for her except to stop her pain in the end. And it had to be my decision. I was heartbroken on Monday when she was receiving infusions. I was with her all the time, but had to leave the room for a moment. She tried to fallow me though she almost couldn't walk and the veterinarian had to hold her until I returned. She was very devoted and loving dog.

This is one of the last pictures I have of her taken last summer. She wasn't alone, as you can see I have two more dogs and love them, but I guess she was most special to me...

Attachments

• Libi_005.jpg
    Libi_005.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I consider myself a pretty steely kind of guy after 30 years in policing but your post made me cry. I am sorry for your loss. Being a dog owner ( or owned by a dog is probably more accurate) I know the sadness in your heart. I tend to judge people by the way they treat their pets and even though I have never met you, I think you are a terrific person. Thanks for giving Lilbi a chance all those years ago.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back