finally my spit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chook

Airman 1st Class
Mar 24, 2008
Sydney
my usual array of mistakes, cover ups and rushed bits but lessons learnt and overall I'm happy with it

Attachments

• IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    446.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3576.JPG
    IMG_3576.JPG
    375 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    396.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3579.JPG
    IMG_3579.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 148
Not bad at all, pity that fuselage decal cracked on you, have found the decals for this bird to be a tad on the brittle side...still trying to make time to get mine finnished (GB14) maybe in my next block of holidays in July...

Thanks Wayne I feel better now. Before the spit I managed to bend all the decals nicely around my P-51 Big Beautiful Doll with no problem (maybe Hasegawa?) but the decals with the spit were very fragile. Lots of them looked more like jigsaws but I managed to get them back together and even the port roundell I got back together better than it looks now but I think the flat clear highlighted or brought out the broken edges so bit annoyed with that cause the rest look ok.The patches over outer gun ports I gave up on really quickly. I made some out of wet newspaper and painted them red!

Great job Sean, it looks the biz mate. Those roundel decals could be re-touched with paint, to smooth out and possibly eliminate the cracks. If possible, slightly increase the angle of the cockpit entry flap - they tended to hang on the hinge at around 10 degrees to the fuselage, and nearly every model has them too vertical, almost flat against the fuselage.

Great work Sean, and good to see ya round again!

What size are those fuselage roundels btw? Got two 17 mm roundels here if you need them, might have others in my stash too if these are no good.

Terry thanks and I'll fix pilots door and I could have painted decals but I was at the stage where every time I tried to fix one thing another got worse and I needed to stop obsessing and finish it. A4K thanks but sometimes I have penis fingers i.e everything I touch I f*#k so gunna leave it as it is. Also I never went anywhere just between family and work I only pump a model out every year or so which keeps me out of contention for group builds! Everyone else i'm touched by your kind words. Done 2 1/32 scale fighters in a row next project is an 'easy ' one a 1/350 USS Hornet Tokyo Raid so any pics appreciated.

Good decision Sean - if it's good enough, then it's good enough!
And let's face it, with the naked eye (as opposed to brutal 'macro' photography), those cracked decals are probably not noticeable anyway.
Now then, a hornet in 1/350th scale ??
B*gg*r me! The little blighters are small enough in real life - how the heck can you model one in that scale??!!
Er .... or did you mean one of those ship-type thingies ?
OK, I've got me coat, and I can see the door from here ...........

Terry I know those wet steel things are not your cup of tea and I'm doing the whole ship with 16 little bloody Mitchells. I like carriers and this is huge probably nearly 2 foot long and Mitchells are big enough to cram some detail into but not much. A4K's offer is tempting but I can see it now....touch up port roundell, break off aerial mast probably twice, think I'm finished then realise I have the words grey nurse on my fingers and where is that bloody pitot tube etc. Also the last step was a coating of pastel chalk and sifted dirt from under the house which will come off if handled too much. I spent hours on my hands and knees looking for the HUD and canopy catch so need the closure more than the relentless strive for perfection but only this once I assure you. Always swear the next one I'll be patient with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back