**** FINISHED: GB-49 1/48 Bf109E-3 - Favorite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
User Name: Ralph Haus
Name: Ralph
Level: Intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Kit: Airfix MESSERSCHMITT Bf109E-3/E-4
Extras used: Patience

I built this to be an 'as delivered' condition craft. This model shows the German factory painted a blue-white-red rudder pattern with washable paint. Ultimately, this L-52 craft was flown by Oberleutnant Franz von Werra, Gruppen-Adjutant I/JG 3, Samer, France, August 1940.

My first foray into the GBs and in doing so had me focusing more closely on the build. A miracle in that the 'carpet' did not get any parts this time. They are all there. Maybe not exactly perfect, but there non the less. Thanks for all the encouragement through the build! Doing this solid dark color was an experience to say the least, less room for any error.

GB-49 Front View.JPG
GB-49 Port F.JPG
GB-49 Port R.JPG
GB-49 Rear View.JPG
GB-49 Starboard F.JPG
GB-49 Starboard R.JPG
GB-49 Bottom View.JPG
GB-49 Top View.JPG
GB-49 Extra.JPG
GB-49 Cockpit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With all here. Nice work on the model Ralph.

One observation though, blue on the rudder flag should be the same tone as on the roundel. In April 1940 instructions were issued requesting the removal of large national flag on the rudder and introduction of asymmetrical positioning of the roundels - on the underside of the right and on the upper side of the left wing. These orders were not fully applied as aircraft with roundels in four or three wing positions are known to have entered the war a year later.

There's no known photo showing L-52 with large national flag on the rudder. In April War this aircraft was flown by Captain Milutin Grozdanović who claimed a Do 17 and Ju 87 shot down on 6th and 7th April respectively. L-52 was lost in the evening hours on 7th April 1941 during transfer flight from Krušedol to Veliki Radinci. Aircraft crashed on landing severely wounding the pilot.

User Name: Ralph Haus
Ultimately, this L-52 craft was flown by Oberleutnant Franz von Werra, Gruppen-Adjutant I/JG 3, Samer, France, August 1940.
Hi Ralph, I don't think this information is correct. This was a brand new a/c and not an overhauled German Bf 109 as delivered (later in the war) to some of the minor Axis countries.
One of the markings in the Airfix-box is for von Werra's a/c but this is a completely different 'bird'.
Good job on your model!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Ralph, I don't think this information is correct. This was a brand new a/c and not an overhauled German Bf 109 as delivered (later in the war) to some of the minor Axis countries.
One of the markings in the Airfix-box is for von Werra's a/c but this is a completely different 'bird'.
Good job on your model!
Cheers!

To imalko and Catch-22. I suppose I should have done some more in depth discovery? The blue was not an obvious mistake, thanks for pointing it out though. As for who piloted L-52? I suppose I should not have relied on the Aifrfix information. But Hey! That's why I'm still 'intermediate'!

If you notice, they come per-flattened! I'm starting to be won over by the Airfix models of late. The earlier kits were not nearly this nice, but the post 2016 kits seem to be well molded.
It was a figure of speech 😃 I have heard that the newer kits are much better.

Beautiful really like it 😊.

For extras you list patience. Where did you get it from I need some, also a selection of new eyeballs that have zoom function 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back