**** DONE: GB-49 1/48 Bf109E-3 - Favorite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
User name: Ralph Haus
First name: Ralph
Category: intermediate
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer/Model: Airfix / Bf109E3/E4 (kit A05120B)
Extras: None

Bf109E-3 Yugo2.jpg

My first GB. I have decided to 'graduate' to 1/48 and this Bf109E3 was the perfect model to start with. I chose to do the Yugoslavia 1940 version for various reasons. I have many 1/72 kits that have the more complex camo but something about the simplicity of this paint scheme seemed to attract me to it. That and, genealogy wise (my father was born in Yugoslavia) I thought it appropriate to do this one.
Bf109E-3 BOX ART-.jpg

Bf109E-3 SPRUES.jpg

I'm not so sure that I will be doing the pilot though!

Another twist for me is I will be switching to Vallejo paints for this one. My Taymia stash, as complete as it is, dosen't have the RLM 65, 70 or 71 equivalencies. Mixing is a possibility but I usually run short and have to try and match the previous mix. Never works out. Taymia XF-23 is fairly close to the RLM 65 but I'll spend the extra $3.30 for safety in presentation.

Last edited:
:thumbright:

But I guess the assembling is due to the "Favourite A/C" part of the split GB.

:thumbright:

But I guess the assembling is due to the "Favourite A/C" part of the split GB.
I'm not sure if this is a comment that means I need to change my heading or just a tongue in cheek comment? It is a night fighter, and kind of my favorite scheme of the kit.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is a commect that means I need to change my heading or just a tongue in cheek comment? It is a night fighter, and kind of my favorite scheme of the kit.

All is fine. Just not sure if she was a night fighter. In the case the plane would be going under the Favourite A/C category rather than the Night Fighter.

I'm not sure if this is a comment that means I need to change my heading or just a tongue in cheek comment? It is a night fighter, and kind of my favorite scheme of the kit.
Ralph, do you have any sources with information about the Yugoslavian Emil-s being used as night fighters? I'll be very interested to read them.
Cheers!

I'll yield to those that have a deeper knowledge in these areas. Thank you Wurger for correcting this. SO, Favorite (no 'u' though) it is.

I had researched, briefly, using 'Bf109E-3 night fighter' in searches. I did get some hits implying that the E-3 was a night fighter. One a Hasagawah kit that states its a night fighter, but qualified as a Bf109E. Maybe an E-4? Not a big issue, just I did not do enough in depth reading!

As for the Yugo version. I plan on doing some additional searching. Reading the complete articles this time. But I have nothing to offer right now. Sorry.

From Yugoslavia to Serbia. The town my father was born is was Bukin, now Mladenovo.

How interesting. World is small. Mladenovo is located in Vojvodina province same as my town, so not too far from where I live.
If you are interested to learn more about Bf 109 in Yugoslav service then I can reccomend these two books.

Attachments

• Messerschmitt-Bf-109-The-Yugoslav-Story.jpg
    Messerschmitt-Bf-109-The-Yugoslav-Story.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 38
  • Messerschmitt-Bf-109-The-Yugoslav-Story2.jpg
    Messerschmitt-Bf-109-The-Yugoslav-Story2.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I had researched, briefly, using 'Bf109E-3 night fighter' in searches. I did get some hits implying that the E-3 was a night fighter. One a Hasagawah kit that states its a night fighter, but qualified as a Bf109E. Maybe an E-4?
Yes, you are talking of this kit
4PK1sdGQA6P1da5a_WQAXsa5s3Oaofi5tUd7fgNfzmr5YAEwf5B-bQ1C7JQ4oxg-fSjtDIzJF8Sm4OB4Vj7NIsn55k84WqCQ.jpg

It's an E-4. But there is a mixed information here: the Me-109E you are building (the Yugoslavian one) IS NOT a night fighter. This was the point of Wurger, asking you to change the name of your build.
There is a very good book (in 2 volumes) describing the use of Me-109 in Yugoslavia:
Messerschmitt-Bf-109-The-Yugoslav-Story-cover-page.jpg

I believe this is the best source one can find. Check here.
Cheers!
P.S. Oooopso_O, when I was typing my answer IMALKO was faster and has already posted information about the same book.

Last edited:
Yes, you are talking of this kit
View attachment 611249
It's an E-4. But there is a mixed information here: the Me-109E you are building (the Yugoslavian one) IS NOT a night fighter. This was the point of Wurger, asking you to change the name of your build.
There is a very good book (in 2 volumes) describing the use of Me-109 in Yugoslavia:
View attachment 611250
I believe this is the best source one can find. Check here.
Cheers!
P.S. Oooopso_O, when I was typing my answer IMALKO was faster and have already posted information about the same book.

Thank you to both for the book suggestions. I wll look into, hopefully, used ones.

An image captured from Wayne Little's 2018 build as a reference to my question on interior colors. I'm skeptical on the colors that are specified in the Airfix kit. Trying to convert Humbrol to Taymia has me consuming the extra adult beverage! I have looked at the builds of others and have seen Wayne's greenish-grey (depends on the page) to light grays in others. None, that I could discern have bi-colors, seat to frame elements, which Airfix indicates should be. It does appear that Wayne's instrument cluster is a light grey (XF-54?).

A very simple request. Will Taymia XF-25 (kind of close to Wayne's) work for the entire cockpit? But, are there two separate colors involved in the cockpit, major pieces; seat vs interior skin? If so would it be lighter or darker? I have the exterior colors covered; I'm investing in Vellajo RLM colors.

By the way, an enviable build Wayne!
1612393078879.png

Early to mid-production Emils had the cockpit in RLM 02, with the instrument panel in a darker grey, close to, possibly the same as, RLM 66.
The overall colour later changed to RLM 66.
Your subject will most likely be the former (RLM 02) scheme.
Sorry, can't help with the acrylic paint numbers.

For the E-3, RLM 02 would be good as in your photo. You could lighten or darken it to alter the seat colour. I just found out that Vallejo Model Air IJA Light Grey Green 71.321 is a great match for RLM 02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back