Focke-Wulf and Messerschmitt GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Long time to wait till the next group build, I will have to build other stuff in the intervening time!

If I remember correctly the limit for GB participants is four entries per each Group Build. So, if you feel like it Chris I say go for it.

For the aces build I just picked up a 109F, was thinking about making the plane of 'the star of the desert'. I do have a few more 1/72s lying about, maybe one of them, we'll see.

I'm half and half.

It seems no airbrush for some time, just can't spare the money for a good one right now, so it means another brush job, tough to do with German camos.

However, i do have Jo-Hann Frog 109F/Gs that want to be made, but I'm not sure i have the correct shade of brown for them for a desert machine. I also have the retool (disapointing) Airfix 109G, all in 1/72.

Desert scheme lends itself better to hand brushing as Marseille's rig had RLM 79 on top with no mottling - dead simple.

I intend that for the aces build in 1/48 scale!

I also have a 1/48 Monogram 190 and a 1/48 Fujimi 190D that could be used.

The bug is hitting me again, ordered up some decals so i can build the 1/72 airfix 109G as a finnish machine (WARTIME, not the postwar markings).

Ok thanks, count me in then, just need to buy the kit now....
I'll get a messerschmitt bf109E-1 but could i pass a bf109E-3 for an E-1? Looking at the two there doesnt seem to be much difference.

Of course you can. The main difference between E-3 and E-1 is their armament. So a few correction to the wing tops and undersides will be needed. Also you have to use the ealier cockpit conopy type used for both variants.

Ok thanks, count me in then, just need to buy the kit now....
I'll get a messerschmitt bf109E-1 but could i pass a bf109E-3 for an E-1? Looking at the two there doesnt seem to be much difference.
I did that conversion with a Tamiya Bf 109E-3 for the Battle of Britain Group Build. The hardest part was the removal of the bulges under the wing which wasn't bad at all. Other than that it was just rescribing panel lines. Also make sure you have the correct canopy. It should be the earlier more rounded style unless the particular aircraft was retrofitted with the later style like the one I did. Below is what the new panel lines should look like.

Attachments

• Bf109E-1-Lower%20Wing.JPG
    Bf109E-1-Lower%20Wing.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Bf19E-1Upper%20Wing.JPG
    Bf19E-1Upper%20Wing.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 94
Thanks for the help but i'll be ok, i've bought the airfix kit which comes with the E-1 option as well as E-3 and E-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back