FOREST FIRES

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Just a bit ago, a forest fire started behind the mountains to the East of us, roughly 3.5 miles/5.5kms away. Not sure how it started yet. I'll keep you posted. It's a lousy photo as there is a lot of haze from a very large forest fire near Tumbler Ridge.

002.JPG

Yellow pin marks approximate location

fire.JPG

Geo

EDIT: Replaced photo

Last edited:
We have a serious forest fire going about a dozen miles west of town here, started by lightning Thursday night. Their best estimate at the moment is less than 10% contained.

Hopefully your fire will be knocked down soon, and won't cause any harm to life or property!

Our thought go out to you guys, fires seem to be the modern day hazard around the world and sadly very costly in life and property, not to mention the environment.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. The wind is from the SSE@11kph(right to left in the photo) so it should stay behind the mountain. The fire, according to All Current Wildfires - Wildfire Management Branch - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations - Province of British Columbia says the fire is now 40 hectares in size. This is the actual location according to the site and I wasn't far off.

fire1.JPG

Had the fire been South of town, there would be more concern as there is only one way out of our little burg until you get about 11 clicks South. The latest photo.

001.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
Last post before dark...

002.JPG

...This started rolling in about half an hour ago, looking west. Smoke from the Ingenika fire about 121 miles/195kms N.E. from here about 3000 hectares in size.

001.JPG

So this is where we are; 1) Ingenika fire, 2) Tumbler Ridge fire and 3) our fire...

fire2.jpg

...as I was typing, a Convair 580 bomber from Prince George flew by...

Untitled.jpg

...the smell of smoke is in the air.

Geo

Last edited:
I hate those things,had my fill in Colorado. Found the best way to pack alot is lay a blanket down,put stuff on top of it and each person holds a corner. You can then lift it all into a trailer,pu bed or suv,saves multiple trips. Also bough a fire proof safe. Good luck...

We have a serious forest fire going about a dozen miles west of town here, started by lightning Thursday night. Their best estimate at the moment is less than 10% contained.

Hopefully your fire will be knocked down soon, and won't cause any harm to life or property!

Wow, just reading about your fire. Stay safe Dave.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back