FOREST FIRES

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When we left town this morning you couldn't see the tree line at the end of the street

1694479067408.jpeg

Cool site, I will have to send the link to my brother. He retired from the National Weather Service a few years ago (after 30 years with them) and still keeps up on this kind of thing (as well as interesting weather stuff). I was just talking to him and he mentioned that the smoke had finally made it down to Topeka - and it shows it on the site you linked to. :)

northern Cali fires over 86K 20 % contained this is nutz.
Most of the fires are in Siskyiou County, some in Trinity and I believe a few are over in Humboldt.

At the moment, not a single fire in Shasta County - thank God. We have been burning every single year since 2018 and it's a blessed relief to actually see the sun in August.

yes Dave Humboldt seems loaded the big fire now 87K is a combo of about 12 fires that have joined en masse, coming into Oregon. praying it does not head southward into the Redwoods ~

As of Sept. 6, there have been 675 total wildfires in Utah, burning more than 13,900 acres so far this year. Nearly 40% were human-caused. Three hundred and eight of those fires were determined to be caused by lightning. In 2022, at this time, there were 854 fires, down from the 1,024 fires during the same period in 2021.

Of course, last winter set all-time snow depth and water content records, and we had an unusually wet April/May/June period, followed by a moderate-temp summer with more cloud cover and occasional light rain than normal (August rainfall was ~3x normal as well).

I worry about next year, when all this vegetation that grew longer and higher than normal, and was not burned down, adds another spring's growth - what will our weather be next year?

For contrast: Of the 1,547 fires in Utah during 2020, 1,202 (78%) were human-caused, surpassing 2015's record of 937.
These fires accounted for nearly 100,000 of the 329,732 total acres burned during this season.

Yes... 14,000 acres by Sept 6 this year, just under 330,000 acres 3 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back