Forum Members Favorite Recipes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Messy1

Master Sergeant
Nov 21, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I thought with the diversity that this website enjoys from cultures all over the world, that it would be a neat idea to start a thread for members to post their favorite recipes, or food that is a staple of their country. I thought of this idea because my girl friend told me about a co-worker of her's that is of Asian decent. Her Asian co-worker gets paid by fellow co-workers to make egg rolls, sticky rice, etc. The co-worker will not share her recipes, but is more than wiling to take money from friends. I thought this thread would be a good way for member to share their native cuisine. Any thoughts or recipes?
szechuan_chicken.jpg

Last edited:
No problem with some new recipes, Bryon. I do cook on occasion, I will dig some stuff up. That photo looks good. One of my favorite Asian dishes is Pla Goong, which is a Thai prawn salad. I got hooked on it in downtown LA when I used to work down there. It was a little hole-in-the-wall Thai/Chinese place and the food was awesome.

I love to cook. Made some Shepherd's Pie tonight for dinner. And my Pre-wife and myself make 15 lbs of chili at one time - only lasts about 4 months!! :)

This summer we started canning for the first time some recipes from our garden. Fresh food is great, yessiree!!!

I got thousands but if you want chicken I suggest this one.

Chicken on a disk.

Okay, first a 2,3 kg chicken (obviously) choped in 10 or 12 pieces, 500cc sunflower oil, a big onion, 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper, oregano and parsley.

Firt you hot the oil about 10 minutes, then put the chicken pieces, cook for 15 minutes, add the pepper, onion and herbs and cook 10 minutes more, simple as that.

Dont use kerosene or stuff like that to start the fire of the taste will not be the same. If you have not a plough disk a metal paella could be used.

A short Video of the cooking could be seen in my liveleak channel:

LiveLeak.com - Fried chicken Argentina style.

Maria's Spaghetti Bolognese

4 persons:

Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
White truffle oil
Oregano
2-6 cloves of garlic, depending on how much garlic you like
1 pound of minced beef
125 grams/4½ oz. pancetta
1 large onion
½ pound mushrooms
1 yellow or red bell pepper
1 small carrot
6-8 plum tomatoes
Fresh tagliatelle
1 small Grana Padano cheese, or real Parmigiano Reggiano (The latter is more expensive, but both taste great with this dish)

Prepare everything:
Onion: Slice and dice finely.
Tomatoes: Cut into good-sized dices.
Mushrooms: Clean, de-root and slice.
Bell pepper: Clean, slice and dice.
Carrot: Shred finely.
Pancetta: Dice finely.
Garlic: Squeeze through garlic presser.

1. Get a good-sized pot and heat the olive oil on the stove.
2. Fry the pancetta in the pot.
3. Pour the chopped onion and fry gently, don't let it turn brown.
4. Add half a handful of oregano and the garlic and stir.
5. Put the minced beef in and stir thoroughly, until the meat has split into smaller pieces.
6. Pour the mushrooms, the bell pepper, the carrot and the tomatoes into the pot and stir everything gently.
7. When everything starts boiling, turn down the heat a bit, stir and add 1 teaspoon of white truffle oil.
Yes, it's expensive, but it gives a wonderful taste to this dish, and be careful with the truffle oil - there's a LOT of of truffle flavour in one teaspoonful!
If you don't feel sure, start with adding half a teaspoonful, then stir thoroughly and let boil for a little while.
Taste, and if the taste of truffles is barely noticeable, add another half teaspoonful.
8. Add salt and pepper.
9. Let simmer on the stove for about ½-1 hour.
10. Shred a small bowlful of Grana Padano cheese, or some Parmigiano Reggiano.
11. Boil the tagliatelle as it says on the packaging. And for your own sake, get a really good fresh tagliatelle made on durum flour. Pour into a colander and add a little olive oil.
Stir gently to spread the oil.
12. Serve with Grana Padano/Parmigiano Reggiano sprinkled on top.

Because of the carrot, you don't have to add a teaspoonful of sugar, like some people do to enhance the flavour - the carrot adds enough sweetness to give a good taste without it being too much.

And I can strongly recommend that - for the sake of a great-tasting meal - buy as much of the ingredients in the organic, bran-auntie, environmentally sacred version.
Screw the whole environment-debate and all that, but...the organic stuff do taste a whole lot better. ;)

Buon appetito!
Oh, and guess what?
It tastes even better the next day. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back