From the S.O.D. 1/48 Classic Airframes Bristol Blenheim IV,Finished!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've corrected an error in my last post - made a typo with the radar trials date, which should have read December 1939.

The original matt black finish was often referred to as 'lamp black', as it resembled that type of finish, and it did weather quickly and heavily, giving a sooty, powdery appearance. This flaked and chipped quite easily too, and the best reference pics are probably those showing close-ups of early Stirlings and Halifaxes, and some very early Lancasters.

Jerry, you're doing a very good job and that Airfix model really looks nice.
You know my taste for the interiors of the cabins and your idea of opening a window, it will give you your personal touch and you will be able to show off those interior details better. Or if you like the option, you can make the roof of the cockpit not stick and can be removed to show off your inner work. That's how I have done in some of my models ... IMHO.
On the other hand that interesting all the information and historical references. It is very enriching to know little by little what exists behind each aircraft. Thanks for share.
The always timely and selfless contributions of Terry (and his wonderful photographs), George, Andy ... and many great experts on the subject, make for some of us some very valuable threads to enjoy and keep learning.
I'm waiting for the next move.

Saludos. :thumbup:

I've done a bit on the Blenheim after all the festiveties. It's not much, but it's a leap forward.

Classic Airframes engines are pretty nice, but the instructions are vague concerning these. There are some resin exhaust pipes, but these do not match the pictures of the real engines. The Bristol Mercury engines had an exhaust system in front of the cylinders, these are straight thin pipes that go to an exhaust collecter ring situated around the "gear" box. CA's instructions want you to glue these little bend pipes to the collecter from the cylinder tops. Not only do these parts not fit, they look nothing like the real engines...

20180116_172311_resized.jpg

This is how the Mercury is suposed to look like...

862b22a8f3eaa8d7bc189dc1702a196d.jpg

And here's what I did with the CA engines.

20180116_172058_resized.jpg

Still not a 100% correct, but somewhat better. It seams these engines came in a variety of colours, some were entirely black, others had aluminum cylinders, etc. I went with some slight weathering and a bit of alu lead pencil.

Next are the wheels. CA's wheels are notoriously undersized. Barracude makes very nice replacement wheels, but they cost more then I paid for this kit, so these were no option...
I went thru my R.A.F. collection (which isn't much...) but I found a pair of oversized Hawker Tempest aftermarket resin wheels, which were more or less of the correct size. They were too big for a 1/48th scale Tempest fighter, but right for a Blenheim. Only the rim was of the wrong type at one side, so an extra pair of Eduard Hawker Tempest rim's came to the resque...

20180116_172128_resized.jpg

Close enough without breaking the bank.
Seams like a small bit of work, but enough to get this build started again. I also cut out all the plastic where the lights are to replace these with clear parts for the landing and formation lights as these are very visible on the blenheim. Both wing tips had large lights at the front and the back. Though it seams they ones aft were sometimes overpainted. I still have no confirmation if this was the case for the NF IV...

Anyway, I like the new style of the forum a lot. It's easier and faster to work with for me.

Thanks! The reason why yesterdays post was a big leap forward for me is this:
20180117_060458_resized.jpg 20180117_060515_resized.jpg 20180117_060535_resized.jpg
I was able to finally put the model together. This kit has some fit issues, but nothing that can't be handled and isn't typical for these older short run kits.
In all, the overall "stance" of the model is good imho. It looks like a Blenheim Mk IV. Though it looks to me as if the nose is a bit crooked, bet then again, the Mk. IV with it's scooped nose makes things look a bit off.

20180117_061347_resized.jpg
Despite my efforts on the engines, little remains to be seen. But I'm happy I changed the exhaust pipes.

20180117_060636_resized.jpg 20180117_060657_resized.jpg 20180117_060557_resized.jpg
The self adhesive aluminum tape held up pretty good and I think it looks ok under a coat of paint.
next will be the lights in the wing. The large square landing lights and the trianglish formation lights. I'm gonna use some clear plexi for these as it can be nicely shaped, sanded and polished.
And then ofcourse the real challenge will begin... an all night black aircraft...

A bit late now but FWIW, here's the exhaust setup in the Bollingbroke:

IMG_0350 reduced.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

I haven't taken the time to check what the 4 intakes at the top are. Carb air intake is on the bottom of the cowl.The 2 at the 9 o'clock position are for the oil cooler.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting more engine pics. I think the Canadian made Bolingbroke had a somewhat different engine layout then the Blenheim. I think the Candians improved the desing a bit, like including (or enlarging?) the upper air intakes visible in the pics.
But since on the model the engines are rather small compared to other radial twin enginged aircraft, I'm gonna leave them as the are.

I started with the plexi inserts for the wing tip lights. A lot of work, but worth the result. These add another visual interesting aspect imho. As these a full pieces, not hollow, I drilled some slight holes in them from the inside using various diameters of drills to simulate the lightbulbs and adding some paint. This seams to be the ticket.

Once this is done I can move to the painting stage. I've thinking on how to aproach the "Photo black" colour of these early nightfighters. I think I'm gonna do a green/brown over sky camo as underlayer for the black and slowly build it up. I think this was the case for the real aircraft as well as these were most likely overpainted the same way.

After I made the landing and formation lights out of clear plexi (and forgot to take pics of the process), I decided to splash some paint on the model after some thinking on how to proceed and paint a black Blenheim...
After looking at some treads here and there, I came up with the following;

20180201_171707_resized.jpg 20180201_171715_resized.jpg
A dark earth base to bring out the detail of the pannel lines and the rivett detail I added. Took some practice to get right, but soon I got the hang of it.

20180201_171822_resized.jpg 20180201_171845_resized.jpg
Then a thin coat of dark grey/black (simelar to cockpit black) was sprayed over the entire airframe, making sure the dark earth detailing previously applied, bled through the black layer.
Since these Belnheims wore a Night fighter schema that was based on the paint that is used inside camara's and very matt, I decided it must of been prone to all kinds of wear. After having a chat with Miguel Jimenez of MiG at the Belgian Scale Modellers Convention last year where he showed his "Hairspray technique" I thought the Blenheim would be a good subject to try it on.

20180201_193019_resized.jpg 20180201_193205_resized.jpg

I first used his "light scratches" bottle, but switched over to the "heavy chipping" variant. It's very subtle and I'm quiet pleased with the outcome, especially since it's the first time i used this technique. It's plain simple.
-Spray an undercoat (in this case the cockpit black)
-Let dry (you can use your airbrush unloaded, with just air from your compresser to speed things up)
-Spray the hairspray (I used MiG's heavy chipping)
-Let dry (use the airbrush with just air again)
-Spray a next coat over the model or selected surfaces and let dry for a bit. (make sure this coat is not too thick, I still could see where the hairspray particles were after I sprayed the next coat)
-Wash the model with water and a flat brush, stroking of the model in the direction of the airflow (I used lukewarm water, wich worked like a charm)
-Let Dry (I used the airbrush again with just air to blow the surfaces dry)

(There are several clips on youtube that demonstrate the process)

In short, the results I got are a bit simelar to the "salt technique" but much finer and more controlable and imho more scale apropriate.
I used MiG's products because I saw how they were demonstrated and feared that actual hairspray would be too sticky and leave an unwanted residue on the models surface. Also the idea of decanting the hairspray in the airbrush was something I did not look forward to. I think the MiG "ready to use" bottle is just much easier and knowing the product will actually work, eases the mind and the process.
I'm also very pleased that the added rivett detail is still visible and looks good. I think it makes the overall black model look better. An other bonus is that the black coat is very forgiving towards my mistaked made during the building proces. ;)

Next I will do the aircrafts markings. I'm gonna use an old Montex mask set I have for a Blenheim Mk. I (to use the masks for the national insignia as they are th esame for the Mk. IV) and will make my own masks for the fuselage codes.

Thanks for looking in!:salute:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back