From the S.O.D. 1/48 Classic Airframes Bristol Blenheim IV,Finished!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What an interesting technique Jerry and option to replace the hair spray.
As Andy says, we appreciate your unbeatable description, I'm going to look for those videos on YouTube and try this method with these Mig's products.
BTW, I remember that I loved Jaqueline Smith ... !! :hearteyes:
Saludos :thumbup:

Very nice build Jerry! I have both the MIG products (Light Scratches and Heavy Chipping) and have not found any noticeable differences using those and hairsrpay. If anything, I think I personally prefer the results I get with hairspray. Plus it smells so seductive!

Very nice build Jerry! I have both the MIG products (Light Scratches and Heavy Chipping) and have not found any noticeable differences using those and hairsrpay. If anything, I think I personally prefer the results I get with hairspray. Plus it smells so seductive!

Settle down John! We all get attached to our models but really...

I've tried the MIG products too but have gone back to hairspray due to the tendency of the MIG products to bead and hairspray is cheap (well if you steal it off your missus anyway!) and does the job perfectly well.

Thanks for the kind replies!!!

It's a slow build, but I made a tiny bit of progres... I got the insignia on.
I used a mix of self made masks and the Montex mask set for the Blenheim Mk. I.
Ofcourse a few things wen't south, so I had to redo them + the hairspray and the black, etc... So after a bit of fustration, (misplaced/misangled masks, paint bleeding under the mask, etc...), I finally managed to get a somewhat decent result. Decals are easier, but the painted masks look better imho...
Anyway, Judge for yourself! ;)

20180212_152730.jpg 20180212_152800.jpg 20180212_152832.jpg 20180212_152911.jpg

I'm pretty happy how the markings turned out, for some reason the blue roundels on the wing apear lighter then those on the tail and the fuselage, even though they were sprayed in the same seassion. I'm beginning to apreciate the "night" colour, I hope I won't have to use any varnish on this model, so I can keep the subtility of th eblack paint as I fear clear will darken things too much...

So, that's it for now. I still have to do the code's, I might do these at work as we have a large machine that does a splendid job with cuting masks for these...
Or I might just print 'em stick on some adhesive and cut them out myself as this is faster... Though the "Q" worries me a bit.

If it's enamel paint, then it should be quite resilient. The only time I've experienced scratches in enamel, is before it's fully hardened, and normally then with just a thin coat.

:) Thanks for the comments! I Really apreciate them!
Paint is enamel as I just can't get allong with acrylic paint...
I "might" give acrylic paint a second chance, but that will be for a somewhat less demanding finish.

I got distracted a bit, but I think that's not bad. I'm working simultaniously on a Hobby Boss Ta 152 C-1. I won't do a w.i.p. on this one, but I'll post the end result, perhaps with a few a few "in between" pics. Even though the Blenheim is growing on me, it's a bit of chore to keep my motivation for this one. I forsee some troubles with the landing gear and the small parts that I still need to add. When I compare the Classic Airframes Blenheim to the Hobby Boss Ta 152 C-1, you can clearly see how much this hobby has evolved.

I have nothing to show yet. But I did quiet some bits and pieces yesterday.
I sprayed the engine front rings in a steel/copper mix as seen on various pics of the Blenheim.
On museum Blenheims these apear copper, but wartime pics show a more dark steel colour, so I went with that.
I also painted all the remaining small items and started on the landing gear, I think fitting it to the model might be challenging, but not impossible.
The "liberated" oversized resin Tempest wheels which I gave new rims also have their base paint on, I'm pretty confident these will apear more correct then the too small wheels suplied with the kit.

And last but not least, this morning I drew the fuselage codes in Illustrator and these will be plotted/cut later today. Looking at reference pics, i noticed there is no real font used by the R.A.F. at the time. every squadron more of less drew their own lettering and put these on their aircraft. It seams that a more standarized font was only introduced at a later stage in the war. Unfortunatly I still could not locate the picture of 600 sq. turretless Blenheim's Mk IV NF. So I used a pic of the 1/72 Owl decal sheet as a guide to draw the font.

Hopefully tonight I can paint the codes and serial no. "medium sea grey" on the fuselage and start on the landing gear.

Last edited:
It worked! I was able to paint the codes on with some Testors medium Sea grey. The masks worked like a charm, even though it was a bit of a chore to get them on the model and have 'em stick to the surface. I tried to get an even spacing between the lettering and I think it came out ok.
Now, there is still the aircraft number "P4037" to paint just aft of the codes and in front of the tail. Though the lettering is so small, I'm not sure it's doable...

20180215_175835.jpg 20180215_175902.jpg 20180215_181934.jpg
20180215_182028.jpg 20180215_182105.jpg

Next I'll have to think about how to get the aircraft No. on the back of the fuselage, but first I'm gonna take care of the landing gear and the rest of the small bits...
Thanks for looking and 'till next time!

Those codes are very good, Jerry.

I do not remember if you mentioned it above, but what material did you use (the white sheet of paper) to draw those letters and how did you adhere them to the fuselage?
It is a very practical option to make any type of letter or code, as well as some particular masking. :idea:

I had no seen in real planes (or I did not take the time to observe), that part of the fuselage code, could cover (depending on the case) a section of the wing. Thats a good work.
You have a beautiful twin engine until now, and I´m ready to see what's next!

Best regards from Mexico to Belgium :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back