GB-56 1/48 P-38 F/G - Thunderbolts and Lightnings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have read so many reviews and watched numerous YouTube reviews of this kit. ALL of them were saying this is one OUTSTANDING kit and it truly is. But reading and watching all those reviews are nothing like actually building one. The ONLY issue I have found is an inconsistent fit on the gun bay doors. I tried a few ideas prior to any cement being used and I couldn't find anything I liked. So, I glued them down and then I am filling with putty and Mr Surfacer 500. I am just about down to cutting in the larger seams this weekend.
This kit is soooooo amazing. I am taking a day to stop and think through how best to handle the turbos and gear bays. I also need to clean up the leading edges between the cockpit and engines. There is just enough misalignment on my part that it needs to be dealt with.

Attachments

• Fuse Sealed Bottom.jpg
    Fuse Sealed Bottom.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 12
  • fuse sealed top.jpg
    fuse sealed top.jpg
    705.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I started on the finish of the turbos. I started with a base of Vallejo Model Metals Silver. After it had dried, I added some Model Metals Exhaust that was thinned about 40%. Low air pressure and very careful application over the silver. Next was a very light application of Burnt Iron. Lastly, I carefully applied a light coat of Model Air Orange Rust that was thinned by about 50%. Lastly, I pulled out a couple of sets of Tamiya weathering pastels. I very lightly applied some Orange Rust and some Burnt Blue. VERY lightly is the key here. Lastly, I put down a light coat of clear to hold everything in place. Overall, I am happy with what I am seeing under my light. I think I may do some additional washes. More to come.
Turbo 1.jpg
EDIT 1: Please note that the turbos are just "snapped" (yeah, the fit is THAT awesome) in place. These will be removed and set aside until I am done with exterior aircraft painting.

Last edited:
Hey, Guys, thank you all for the very kind words. Andy, I am going to be very curious how you do your turbos. I had a couple of other ideas, but I was worried I would get too heavy handed.

Last edited:
Good Day, All,
I started on the first main gear bay assembly. Boy, there are a few fiddly bits there! Anyways, first main gear bay is done. I used my homemade washes to dust the bay up quite a bit. Used my airbrush with the wash close to a water consistency and very low pressure (~6psi) with a 0.15mm nozzle. I think things came out reasonably nicely. As always, any feedback is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Main Gear Bay 1.jpg
    Main Gear Bay 1.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Main Gear Bay 2.jpg
    Main Gear Bay 2.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Main Gear Bay 3.jpg
    Main Gear Bay 3.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Main Gear Bay 4.jpg
    Main Gear Bay 4.jpg