Going On Vacation ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just letting you all know that Rochie and I are back from a fantastic week in the beautiful Zlin region of the Czech Republic. I'll be posting a thread about the 65th Anniversary Commemoration of the air battle over the White Carpathians in due course, when I get all the pics sorted - and find my brain, which I'm sure I did pack and bring back with me!! Too many shots of 'T -Stoff' and 'C-Stoff', local 'brews' which could launch the Space Shuttle!

Will be leaving for a week long Elk Hunt in the Colorado Rockies in just over 24 hours (Sept 17th). First time I'll be hunting them with a Longbow and I'm ready to get to it. Will return somewhere around the 28th of Sept.

Just got back from Colorado this morning. Did not even see an Elk, but heard a large heard of them run of in the thick timber a couple times. Saw quite a few Mule Deer though, but did not have a lisc. for them.
Overall it was a great time, very cold in the evenings, weather ranged from low 20's, to maybe 60's a couple days. Had a major snow storm hit in the mountains just North of the one we were on.
My body aches from head to toe, Achilles is letting me know of it's dis-approval of all the walking and steep climbing, and helping pack out my buddies Elk, which took the better part of a day. Even got kicked in the knee by his Elk as they were preparing it for quartering, got a big black and blue mark to prove it, in addition to several nasty scratches on my legs and back from getting stabbed by various sticks and things when walking through the heavy timber.
Learned that I have a lot to learn about Elk hunting. I think I'm sticking to Deer and Turkey hunting from now on, much easier on my aging body.

hmm... lol so was it a good time.? Your body aches and you haven't seen any elk. Anyways sounds really fun, who'd you go with.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment;) Got to expect to have some hardships and body pain when you are in an environment that a human really wasn't meant to be in for an extended period of time. It was a learning experience and I hope to do it again when I can physically handle the conditions better. My favorite type of hunting is for Wild Turkey and I will spend more time and effort hunting them from here on out.

Thank, hunting is not all about getting your animal in my view. It's trying to outsmart your prey in thier element and learning something from it. I know some that fiind a hunt un-successful if they do not harvest thier animal, I'm glad I don't have that mentality. To me it's getting away from the rat race and spending time in the outdoors and trying to learn something from it all. I guess that's why I am finding myself getting away from all the new, high tech hunting equipement and getting back to basics, I bow hunt with a longbow or recurve, and am considering trading in my rifles and hunting with a good old cap or flintlock Muzzleloading rifle. My chances using these types of weapons will be limited, but I believe using them will make me a better hunter.
It's a hard thing to explain to people that don't hunt, or have different views about hunting. I'm not in it to kill, but to live with nature and learn from it and if I take game that's a bonus.

Half day of work today and the four and a half days of Deer hunting. I was asked by a co-worker yesterday if I have ever taken a vacation where I did not go hunting in the recent future. Had to think about it for a while, and I haven't lately.

Half day of work today and the four and a half days of Deer hunting. I was asked by a co-worker yesterday if I have ever taken a vacation where I did not go hunting in the recent future. Had to think about it for a while, and I haven't lately.
If you enjoy it, there is no need for another type of vacation.

BTW, your avatar keeps cracking me up.

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back