GUSTAV IN PERIOD COSTUME

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Now that the Gustav and its diorama are finished, I messed around with a digital SLR, in order to try a few black white shots, against a rudimentary background, to recreate the type of photographs possibly taken in 1944. These are deliberately in slightly soft focus, to attempt to replicate the 'snaps' of a simple camera of the period. The first one is in colour, slightly de-saturated, again to replicate the film of the time, after the passage of years. They would be better without the figures as, no matter how good a model figure is, and mine aren't brilliant, it almost always is the 'giveaway' in such shots.
Hope you like them.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 376.jpg
    21 Gustav 376.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 21 Gustav 376 A.jpg
    21 Gustav 376 A.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Gustav 379A.jpg
    Gustav 379A.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 21 Gustav 381A.jpg
    21 Gustav 381A.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 21 Gustav 369.jpg
    21 Gustav 369.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 64
You are all very kind, thank you!
These were just quick shots, to use for reference for more 'advanced' work later. I'm still using a (very good) pair of 35mm SLR's, and a borrowed 3.2Mp digital compact, so I needed to 'experiment' with an 'average' digital SLR.
No disrespect to digital SLR's, but most mid-range examples lack some of the features of the 'old fashioned' cameras that are very important, if not crucial, in model photography. No fault of the manufacturers, these features, the majority of the time, are not needed in 'average' photography. But, I needed to try a few things before I finish the Photography guide, as it's no good having to process film, scan the prints, and then edit - takes too long in this case. I hope to be able to afford a digital SLR in the not too distant future, but, the guide/ article needs to demonstrate what can be achieved by the lay-person, using average equipment.
Matt, I think you would enjoy this aspect of the hobbies, and, hopefully, the guide should help you. It won't be a definitive work by any means, but it should give some hints on how to achieve similar results, or even just good pics of your models, without going to major expense.
Thanks again for the compliments, glad you liked the pics.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back