Hawker Typhoon? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

....and as with many other, same problem with the canopy, plus sink marks on the wheels, other than that, top marks!

What do you think of the rivet detail, 'in the flesh', as opposed to how they look in photos?
I'm not being critical, but they do look rather prominent in the photos I've seen, but this could, of course, be the effects of lighting on 'bare' plastic. I have the feeling they'd b just fine under paint and clear coats.

Hard to tell, wish I had a real Tiffy, to compare to. But, I'd say that they're not that bad, that some paint couldn't fix, think that layers of that would tone down rivets etc..

DSC_1306_zpsdobtgfxi.jpg

DSC_1305_zpsnnybudzu.jpg

DSC_1304_zps5he1mo9w.jpg

DSC_1307_zpsyj4wvokc.jpg

DSC_1308_zpsrjbw76hp.jpg

I know old boy, thought that I'd find it in one of my Typhoon/Tempest books, not a blasted thing! :lol:

Nope, as far as I understand, the stand is sold separately....here's a pic of the part..

DSC_1305_zps6ydhtjok.jpg

Hmmm......

what about that Tiffie that was shipped off to Egypt or somwhere for desert trials, could it be something from that aircraft, though why Airfix would add that if they dont include decals for it is another question ?

my lucky guess might be correct !

found this on another forum about Tiffies in the desert

They were all fitted with filters which operated when on the ground. Photos of this device are elusive but seems to have been similar if not identical to the filter fitted to the Tempest VI (also camera shy). It is very difficult to see in photos as it was located beneath the centre-section, immediately behind the air intake fairing. I have noticed the device on three late-war Typhoon photos - two of which were in unit service (not R&D) - one of those was an ex-trials aircraft, the other unidentified. Hopefully someone out there knows more?

The part is for the option 'D' of the four Typhoons, RB389, I8-P, from the No. 440 Squadron, in Netherlands/Germany and the 2nd Tactical Air Force, February-May of '45....

it is a dry type dust filter fitted as shown just behind the chin scoop, developed for the three Typhoons sent to the desert

seems it was also fitted to some tiffies after they landed in europe as dust in Nomandy caused problems !

pm me you e-mail again my friend, i seem to have lost it, have some thing to send to you which may help !

Last edited:
There must have been a control of some kind in the cockpit to switch between the two intake paths ( lever operating a bowden cable ? ) - I hope Airfix didn't miss that out ;)

Karl has it. And here I thought I'd be the one to set us straight. There are disadvantages to being in the Mountain Time zone as I'm often the last to chime in.

The Squadron Typhoon/Tempest In Action book shows this installation on the Tempest Mark VI and states that the trop filter was tested on Tiffies that served in the Middle East.

There are several pictures of RB389 around but none that I've seen show evidence of this filter being installed.

The part is for the option 'D' of the four Typhoons, RB389, I8-P, from the No. 440 Squadron, in Netherlands/Germany and the 2nd Tactical Air Force, February-May of '45....

that might be typo Jan.

look in that magazine i sent you, the profile for MR U with shark mouth seems to show the filter fitted, as Tiffies could not carry RP's and external tanks as it looks like in the profile ?

With this, I've got a couple or so subjects for the kit, with MN413 of No. 440 Squadron (later to No. 184 Squadron), I8-T, being the likely 'winner', the only one that I've seen a photo of, we also have JP913, XM-B and the No. 182 Squadron; MN513, EH-N and the No. 1 Squadron (later No. 55 OTU), OT-U...
Anyhoo, fun is, three or fourbladed prop, what spinner as there are three different ones in the kit and long or short tail....

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back