Hellcat wing fold closeups for modelers and artists (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I was out at the Camarillo Airport yesterday to shoot some shots for the museum. We unfolded and folded the wings on the Hellcat for some photos, so I thought I would grab some closeups for you guys.

Attachments

• DSC_7891.jpg
    DSC_7891.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 920
  • DSC_7892.jpg
    DSC_7892.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_7893.jpg
    DSC_7893.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC_7894.jpg
    DSC_7894.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC_7895.jpg
    DSC_7895.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC_7899.jpg
    DSC_7899.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC_7900.jpg
    DSC_7900.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 408
Thats a very usefull set of pics !.

Great detail and clarity as allways, thanks for posting.

Cheers guys. I even got to help fold them back up. I had watched it many times, but never helped before. You need at least 3 people to fold the wings on the Hellcat, in case you are doing any diorama work, one in the cockpit to hit the switches and pumps, one on the wings to swing them up or down and one near the fold to lock the wing in place.

Great shots Eric - a question.

Just wondering what this line is and why they routed it around that hole. I would of tried to make a gentle arc and clamp the upper line to the inside of the wing. Maybe one of the A&P folks there could shed some light on that?

Attachments

• wing.bmp
    286.9 KB · Views: 252

Just wondering what this line is and why they routed it around that hole. I would of tried to make a gentle arc and clamp the upper line to the inside of the wing. Maybe one of the A&P folks there could shed some light on that?

I am not sure on that one, Joe. I will ask the guys next time I'm out there.

That appears to be part of the wing locking mechanism to me. If you'll look at corresponding part of the folded wing in the original photo, (Just to the upper right of the end of the copyright notation.) you'll see the associated mating boss that the clamping mechanism locks onto. The reason I'm guessing that the lines are routed that way is to prevent anything that might happen to come through that hole from damaging the hydraulic lines.

Oh, and wonderful shots by the way!

Attachments

• f6fwing.jpg
    f6fwing.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 208
That appears to be part of the wing locking mechanism to me. If you'll look at corresponding part of the folded wing in the original photo, (Just to the upper right of the end of the copyright notation.) you'll see the associated mating boss that the clamping mechanism locks onto. The reason I'm guessing that the lines are routed that way is to prevent anything that might happen to come through that hole from damaging the hydraulic lines.
Understand that was part of the locking assy, but was wondering what would come through that hole? It would seem that the top line should be better supported but without being there its hard to really tell.

could be a line to fire the guns or the bomb rack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back