Hello All

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hispano

Recruit
Jan 18, 2010
Northumberland, England
My name is Ian and I live in the North East of England, near Hadrian's Wall...

I've had a long time fascination with military aviation, and WW2 in particular, since I was a lad. I walk my dog every morning along the coast and you can still see cannon strikes on the sandstone rocks where we walk. This is where Typhoons practiced on old tank hulks positioned on the cliff edge - before deploying to France against the real thing. It was probably learning of things like that, growing up in an age not too long after WW2 and of course the films from the time - e.g. 'Reach for the Sky' that started my lifelong interest.

I really like early jet aircraft too, and over the years when growing up (due to being fairly near to a training range) have always stopped to look up - sometimes not very far up! - to see Meteors, Javelins, Shackletons, Hunters, Canberras, Vulcans, Buccaneers, Lightnings, Phantoms, Harriers, Jaguars and Tornados - as well as Sabres, Starfighters, F111s, F15s, F16s, A10s and others.

RAF Acklington was within easy travelling when I was young and my dad took me there in 1960 to my first airshow (where I saw my first Spitfire!) I've gone to numerous airshows since (including RIAT Fairford) and I always love watching and listening to the old birds. I've photos somewhere, so I'll see if any are worth posting here.

You can probably tell that my 21st birthday was a while ago!

I've read lots of books from the period - a favourite is, 'The Big Show' by Pierre Clostermann, I've made the plastic model kits in my time, and still take an interest wherever I can.

Looks like a great site, and I'm looking forward to spending many a happy hour here!

Last edited:
Hi Ian, and welcome from me, down here in the North West, but originally from your neck of the woods! I know Acklington well, and have many happy memories of the place. Apart from spending my summer holidays at Warkworth, as a kid in the '50's and 60's, I had a cousin who was in Air Traffic Control at Acklngton, so occasionally got to see some of the stuff up close. I really loved those 66 Sqn Hunters!
I too remember the variety of stuff over the North Sea ranges, and Otterburn etc., and have looked not very far up at Buccaneers, Jaguars and Phantoms, one of the latter chasing a W.German (then) Luftwaffe F4 at low level over Bamburgh Castle, as well as the Hunters, back in the late 50's /early 60's, firing at the drogue towed by a 'Meatbox'.
Great to have another member from 'God's Own County' here (the Yorkies have got it wrong!), and hope to 'chat' some in the future.
Cheers,
Terry.

Greetings Ian
from a fellow north-easterner. I'm a Gateshead lad and I moved even further away than Terry, landing in S Wales. Still pine for the fjords occasionally, vibrant night-life, feisty women and football in glorious black-and-white stripes... the stuff of dreams

Heck Colin, I never knew you were from Gateshead! That's where most of my remaining family are (aunts, cousins etc) and I'm originally from Dunston!!

Hi Ian and welcome to the family

Users who are viewing this thread

Back