Heroes.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Last night as I was trying to fall asleep I couldn't forget what I had just watched. The Glen Beck show. He had a special, non political version on heroes.

It was focusing on him and his son who said superman was his hero.

Back to the point, I had a realization about who MY heroes were. They aren't sports players or entertainers, they are the people that teach you lessons. In most cases like mine, my parents are my heros as well as figures like George Washington, Einstein and Lincoln. They each had a lesson to teach.

Albert Einstein showed how many times you can fail but still succeed. He failed tens of thousands of times but he is still revered as one of the BEST scientists/ mathematicians in the world.

George Washington probably one of the greatest heroes of all time. During the Revolution camped with his troops, he of course was accommodated better than troops there but he was out there encouraging them and not to loose faith. After the war soldiers found out they weren't getting paid and had a secret meeting. Washington got word and walked in and said, "A congressman can help us." he then preceeded to take a note out and he couldn't read it. he said ," Just a minute" and took his glasses out. Instead of reading the note he said, "I have grown old and gray fighting beside you for my country." A tear then rolled down his cheek and he left.

Finally, after his presidency was over King George said," What will happen when his term runs out?" a person responded," He will leave office." "Then he will be a hero." responded the king. People wouldn't of cared if he became king. Washington knew that if he became king, he would've gone back on everything they fought for.

One writer on the show said he visited China and a man had a portrait of Washington and Lincoln on his wall. He asked the writer, "Do you worship them?" and he responded, "No" . Chinese man looked upset and confused and said, "They are real heroes, you should."

The superheroes you see in comic books, I think were created out of fear. Superman during World War II was created during WWII, I for one think that was out of fear and people wanted someone to 'protect' them. After 9/11 what movie was the best seller? Spiderman, it could just be a coincidence I don't know.

To sum up, I think that people thinking sport stars or entertainers are heroes need to open a book. Maybe this Tiger Woods thing will changed how people view it. But I know who my heroes are. Mom, Dad, and the others mentioned.

The reason I posted this was because if I told my older brother he'd think I'm a whimp and my little brother wouldn't understand. Mom and Dad are busy getting ready for guests. I needed to tell someone so I figured maybe I could tell you guys :oops:

Having family members as heroes is testament to good character, Harrison. My grandfather was one of my heroes growing up and I still think of him often, even 32 years after he passed away. The lessons you learn from them will stay with you for a lifetime.

Good post.

:hello1: H-man that is why we keep you around, you are smarter than the average teenager. Years from now when I am in the old veteran's home, I will read about YOU doing something important.

DBII

Last edited:
Great post H. True heroes are those that slog through life, with a smile on their face, not asking for anything in return. They get the job done and help the next in line. My parents were #1 also both Mom and Dad. And then I see everyday heroes - the Police man, the fireman, the soldier, anyone who keeps us safe and are willing to pay the cost. Can't forget the heroes of our lives.

Brothers are supposed to pick on each other, that's what God made us to do! :lol: My brother and I fought tooth and nail every day until I left for bootcamp. Now we're best friends. Don't let that stop you from having heroes! Guaranteed he has his.

My heroes are those that nobody ever hears about, the guys that don't even make page 12 of the local newspaper or the final 30-second segment of the 10-oclock news. They're the guys that do the work in the background, the quiet unassuming miracle-workers that make things happen, but never demand, crave, or seek the spotlight. They're the guys who are always willing to put in an extra shift when someone's out sick, or volunteer at the soup-kitchen every month (not just between Thanksgiving and Christmas.....man, that chapps my buttcheeks, the false-piety during the season!). THOSE are the guys I love to hang out with. And when they open up, the stories they have to tell...!

Agreed. I wish more people were like that, so they wouldn't spit in my dads face, curse at him, or hit him.... being a police officer as you know people can get annoyed.

All he is doing is trying to keep others safe.

Like what you guys said heroes are the ones who as for nothing in return but if I can add to that they are the ones who shape you, to who you are today.

Nice thread, H. Next time you get philosophical like this, take a moment to tell your folks. They may have a lot on their plate(holiday visitors) but I think they would be proud of your choices.

Yea, it actually would be great if more people did that.

We idolize sportsmen , but think nothing of the teachers, police, and fireman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back