Ice Skaters?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Lately I've wanted to start playing Ice hockey as opposed to just watching it on TV. Yesterday I went for my first lesson and they started me out on hockey skates (Which was just an awful idea) and I took a couple spills. After moving to figure skates to start out on I was balanced a little better. This week I'm going to try to make all the public skates and improve in time for next weeks lessons.

Who here ice skates? How long did it take you to learn ?

Lately I've wanted to start playing Ice hockey as opposed to just watching it on TV. Yesterday I went for my first lesson and they started me out on hockey skates (Which was just an awful idea) and I took a couple spills. After moving to figure skates to start out on I was balanced a little better. This week I'm going to try to make all the public skates and improve in time for next weeks lessons.

Who here ice skates? How long did it take you to learn ?
It'll come my friend the most important thing is the fit of the skates and are they sharp, are you talking of figure skates with the pick on the front?
My girl friends little girl just turned 6 and she uses hockey skates a lot more support in the ankles. skating is a skill like riding a bike. There are also a lot of youtube vids on how to

some people are natural skaters, you need strong legs and ankles, since i broke my ankle have alot of trouble skating

I used to ice skate in my younger days. Started out on a pair of skate that were probably a good 20 years old when I got them. Absolutely no ankle support, but they were free. Don't remember it taking too long to get the hang of forward skating, but never really got the hang of going in reverse.
I watch high school, college, and pro hockey players skate and an amazed at how effortllesly the move around. They've been skating for so long that it's second nature to them, just like walking to the rest of us.

Injured ankle and broken foot put an end to my ice skating, plus the rest of my bones probably wouldn't take kindly to a nasty fall either.

Good luck, you'll get the hang of it in in no time.

Last edited:
I do a little bit, but never got good enough to play hockey or anything.

Back when I was younger though, we did not really have an ice skating ring or anything. If I went out on the ice, it was on a pond or lake. I actually spent most of my time in the roller skating rings (yes those old things with 4 wheels, two side by side...;)). Back when they had Roller Skating Discos in the 80s. :lol:

I played hockey for a number of years, just stopped playing competitively a few years ago. Stay away from figure skates. Once you master hockey skates you"ll never want to put on a pair of figure stakes again.

I really got into hockey between 12 - 14. I tried to skate daily, also played a lot of roller hockey on quad skates (no inline back then and there were advantages and disadvantages when I reverted back to playing ice hockey). A great book - "Inside Hockey" by Stan Mikita. It will show you a lot of basics into the game. i coached kids many years ago and it "required reading" for many of my players (and their parents!). Hope this helps!

Thanks guys, I've gone about 3 times this week and picked up on it real easy. Just being able to move was the toughest part :lol:

We used to call figure skaters "Fairy Hoppers" unless they were a hot looking chick - then we would just call them FINE! :evil4:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back