JU87G-1 Stuka "Tank Buster", Hans-Ulrich Rudel, Russian Front, 194?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was reading an article on masking canopies this week David and the guy recommends protecting the canopy with what these guys refer to as 'Future', but is called 'One Go', Pledge liquid floor polish. When it is dry (I give it a day) mask the canopy and give it another coat of 'One Go'. This helps to seal the edges and prevent under seeping of the paint. I say all this with tongue in cheek as I'm trying it for the first time on my two current GB builds.

I use Future on the canopies of every build, although I never gave it a coat after masking and before paint. It also makes them look more clear, and the best part is it protects the plastic from the fumes from the glue, both plastic cement and CA (superglue) so you can glue the canopy on extra strongly. I even use CA to fair in the windscreens into the body of the aircraft with no Ill effects. Just remember to scrape the future off the mating surface for a stronger bond.

Just to go off on a tangent....
How do you glue photoetch parts to clear parts such as canopies? eg. as with some of these cockpit detail sets? will Kristal Klear give a strong enough bond? Does 'future' affect what adhesive to use?

Shining,
David.

I've heard some people use Future with success but don't count on a good bond. A small dab of PVA will work and dries clear but is also not very strong. There are also specialty glues for clear parts but I think some are just glorified PVA. My experience with Testors Clear Parts Cement Window Maker has been good and, although I think it falls into the latter category, it seems to be stronger than regular PVA.

I use the One Go for a flat on flat adhesion of etched to clear plastic but if adding something like a mirror or leaver then the PVA is usually brought into play but then again, CV may be the only option depending on the degree of awkwardness.

Thanks for the replies. I have seen an odourless? CA that claims not to mist up clear parts but it was pricey. Anyhows... will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Cheers,
David.

Have nearly finished in the paint shed but afraid I wont make the deadline. Maybe tomorrow.
If it would stop raining the paint might dry quicker. Anyhows....
Pics to come,
David.

Last edited:
I've seen you guys have been getting a bit wet of late, maybe the judges may offer up an extension, Wayne was hinting as such with his 'Final days for the GB' thread.

Here is where I am at. Still have to tidy up the edges, add fidly bits, etc etc. I am still a noob with the airbrush and this was my first go at masking a LW splinter scheme.

Attachments

• IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0828.JPG
    IMG_0828.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 112
Looking good. But either these images are too dark or you didn't add some white to these basic colours.

That is a very nice job on the paint thus far!Now I just read an article about Rudel in Aviation Mag and I knew of the guy but dam his accomplishments were something else and to live through the war!!Almost made me want to go and build one of his crates.

remember guys that his "accomplishments" are somewhat inflated for German propaganda purposes. he never did sink what was it the ..........Murat ? the figure of over 500 soviet tanks is one of discernment as well, it would be best to see who ranked # 2 in the Tank busting role using whatever machine and then go down the listing for the top ten German LW tank killers to make a basic comparision

Users who are viewing this thread

Back