'Langnasen Dora' Fw 190D-9's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So... More pics? You show me your D-9 and I might show you my D-11 once the RLM81 goes on... Oh and doing your mottling FIRST and working 'up' (on fuselage sides), seems to work well for me :)

Give it another shot tomorrow fellas, no pub tonight, paid my tickets to Sweden yesterday which left me pretty much skint, so might be up nice and early, tempted to start on my JV44 D-9 as well....among other things... :oops: :lol:

True, this is great fun and I enjoy learning all this about the Doras! 8) :D

Unlikely - if he spends that much time (and effort) in there, they're likely to send someone round to check on him and make sure he hasn't died! Got to keep the good customers happy, you know!

:lol: pmsl! :lol:

As for the spinner....which would be correct?

EAG32057.jpg

EAG32061.jpg

EAG32124.jpg

....and that JG26 'White 13' is still poking me in the side, she's a beaut! 8)

Yeah, I was thinking about that JG 26 "White 13" too, for my 1/32 Hasegawa kit. Alas, I can not find that EagleCals sheet in 1/32 - it appears it may not be made in that scale? I kinda hope not (not trying to steal your 13's, Jan, but as we both have said before, it's a nice looking a/c).

As for spinner, well, being speculative its a tough call. Its not like there are many KNOWN pictures of the 2109xx D-9's sent to 6./ and 7./JG 301 (my research suggests the first 20 at least (and possibly 30-40) from the 2109xx block were sent to II./JG 301). Thus, I would suggest staying pretty generic and do something like "Black 4" or "Yellow 15" - the spiral on "White 12" is pretty distinctive...

Personally, Im stuck with the empennage of this VfS D-11. As always, Japo and EE are worlds a part on Camo. So far I have leant towards Japo (as EE could not even get the WNr correct for this a/c - 220017, which EE seemed to think was 220012; maybe just a typo somewhere?) and from the look of the photo's, Japo has the better take on the 'shapes' of the camo/mottle. But now I am a bit stuck with the empennage. Japo and the 'gut' say RLM81 (everything is masked up for RLM81 too), like so many other FW produced a/c; but then EE goes and plants the seeds of doubt with RLM82/83 mottles on the tail... AND the photo's in both Japo and EE give me no hint either; the colours I see could just as easily be RLM81 or RLM83...

Decisions, Decisions...

So... Whats happening Jan? I'm upto my 16th shot of colour on the D-11 (thats not coats - I'll often do 2-3 light coats per shot)... getting close to shooting clear! What sort of mad man gets into spraying late WW2 luftwaffe camo's???

Contemplating ordering the correct shade for the camo and start on my JV44 bird.
Don't want to do too many attempts, just in case that the paint will get that thick and crack... :lol:
Plus, at the same time, order that JG 26 'White 13' and correct spinner spiral...

Well, if you don't want to mix and tint and etc, I would recommend the following (if you like acrylics):

RLM02 - Lifecolor UA071 (FS*36165)
RLM66 - Lifecolor UA133 (FS*36081)
RLM74 - Lifecolor UA072 (FS*36081) <-- I know, claims to be approx the same FS number, but its different!
RLM75 - Lifecolor UA508
RLM76 - Lifecolor UA074 (FS*36473)

RLM81 - Mr.Color H421 (RLM81) <-- one of the greener variants, tho more brown than the Lifecolor variant UA053
RLM82 - Mr.Color H422 (RLM82)
RLM83 - Mr.Color H423 (RLM83)

'Neutral Greys'
Lifecolor UA027 (FS36320) <-- good for gear legs and even whole areas, like the angled line on the rear fuselage (lighter)
Mr.Color H317 (FS36231) <-- for a darker angled line up across the lower portion of the rear fuselage - mix with H417 (RLM76) to get the tint of your choice!

Those are the colours I'd be using if I didnt want to mix - I really do not like the Mr.Color take on RLM76 and find their greys (RLM66, RLM74 and RLM75) just feel a bit too neutral, hence the Lifecolor suggestions. I've also yet to find an acrylic version of the 'brown' RLM81 that I like too. Otherwise, use your favourite RLM70 colour (I use Lifecolor RLM70 3:1 - 2:1 with black) and you're pretty much sorted

I'm also starting to do a lot of mixing in the cup, where I will tint the paint in my airbrush half way through, in order to get a more irregular look (seems to work really good with my RLM83 mix) as well as doing things like using the Lifecolor RLM83 (Light Green - SHOULD be RLM82) on the wings and fuselage, then swapping to the Mr.Color RLM82 for the stabilisers.

As you can tell, I've been experimenting - hopefully this D-11 will be the evidence of some of the results of said experiments :)

Hmmmm....
Never used those two brands, using Vallejo Air myself, like them a lot, seldom any problems. You know better than me, about their RLM's and how they compare to these two...
Have you tried them?

Cheers again mate! :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back