'Langnasen Dora' Fw 190D-9's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am by no means the colour expert :) And some ppl have questioned my high degree of focus on 'tonal difference'; but it works for me :)

Vallejo, I have only used their pigment (which I didnt like much) and their surface primer-fillers... The Surface Primers are great, until you go anywhere near them with an abrasive! (Whats the point of a surface primer-filler you can sand??) - so they've been relegated to 'paint' as they have a lovely dense pigment! But their 'colours', nope, never tried them...

Just out of curiousity Wayne, what mixes/colours do you use? And yeah, once I get this last little area of RLM82 done (on the stabs - going to use the Mr.Color RLM82 so they're a 'different shade' to the RLM82 on the wings and fuselage - which due to priming, are different in themselves) and touching up some bare metal area's, I'll chuck some pics up. I'm actually REALLY happy with my evolving technique on this kit; the fethered edges on the fuselage and tail mottles are arguably the best I've yet done; the way I've been able to tone the gun cover and around the windscreen with RLM83 over 82 looks sweet as well as thin paint over the wing roots. And fairly happy with the 'fine line' I have walked between the Japo and EE interpretations of the a/c.

Just need to make the decals now! And yes Wayne, that means some of your stuff too! :)

Just kicking this one up to figure out the correct colours for the camouflage, which Vallejo Air would you say fit the bill best?

Seing that I have to respray some of it... :oops: :lol:

This being, if I remember correctly, Clemens Schmoll's (6./JG301) Dora-9, Red 13, Wk. Nr. 210913....

Never Used Vallejo - Im currently experimenting with Model Master Enamels cut with Lacquer Thinner. I KNOW they STINK and clean up sucks and if you screw up the paint/thinner ratio you're going to need some FINE sandpaper (I did manage to save the D-9 tho ;) ), but I have had a LOT more success with mottling, I think due in one part to the slower cure time and in another due to the 'less pigment per volume' ratio of Enamels...

How do your Vallejo's go, if you need to sand on them? I ask as the Vallejo Surface Primers I have are TERRIBLE if you need to sand...

Zaaagggyyyy!! Where the h*ll have you been hiding!? :lol:

Been sanding away on a '40 Ford pickup and they work just fine.....so far! :lol:

I prefer the Vallejo's easy to manage...

How's your building going, what's in the 'workshop'?

Trying to match the RLM for the top camouflage...

Hey Lucky, I guess I have been hiding; mostly due to i) Uni work and ii) Medical ****. In the last three-four months I have been poked and prodded and tested and scanned and shrunk and analysed and given all manner and colour of pills to take! The result of it all is, no one could really tell me what was going on (some cognitive ****) and due to missing lots of school, I have about 3 weeks to fight through the lingering cognitive crap and learn ALL my coursework! Hahahaha

Hence, the D-11 (Eduard) is STILL sitting here waiting for its final Matte Coat (then its DONE); the D-9 (Tamiya + Verlinden) needs RLM74/75 on the wings, before attaching the HEAVILY modified Jumo213, scratch build Radiator and the other goodies; and the He 162 (Dragon) has stalled with only the cockpit walls having been thinned (although the Aires + Eduard + Quickboost cockpit has finished up looked STELLAR-GOOD!).

On the flipside and considering my standard modelling rate is 6 kits per year, I have bought a RIDICULOUS lot of kits in 1/48: Tamiya He 219 (x2), Academy Bf 109K-4 (x2), Dragon Ho 229A-1, Ho 229B, Ju 88C-6, Ta 154, Hasegawa Fw 190A-8, Fw 190F-8, Bf 109G-4, Bf 109G-10, Fujimi Bf 109G-10, Promodeller Bf 110G-4, RV Resin Ta 152C-0... And just in case I DIDNT ALREADY HAVE ENOUGH - Eduard Fw 190D-9 (x2), Dragon Ta 152H-1 (x3), Dragon Ta 152 1:72 (x2). And in 1/32 Hasegawa Me 262A-1 and PCM Ta 152H-0. And about nine EagleCal sheets and 7 other brands. And some resin and etched... JESUS, I really shouldnt have written that all done! My justification is that the prices were INCREDIBLE.

MUST FINISH D-11 and D-9 though....

Oh and also had my head in a bunch of books and about 900 Photo's for a research project/book I am thinking about writing over the break...

Managed an Airfix 1/72 Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling, Hampden, He 177 (all from '75), a 1/48 J2F Duck, JRF-5 Goose, another Ju 52, brought a Dragon Ta 152H-1 back from Sweden and a few other bits and bobs, all with the law of course! :lol:

Hope to get cracking on this one again soon... :oops:

Right fellas! As it looks like I'll be needing to order some more Vallejo Air paints (which I'm using), I thought that I should ask you all which would be the proper ones for this D-9 (and other D-9's) and other late war Luftwaffe fighters....

Any help is most appreciated! :thumbright:

Well, there in lay the issue! Obviously bare metal, but from there things get complex...

RLM02 - for those parts that arent bare metal in your wheel bays
RLM21 - semi gloss white - spinner spirals and etc
RLM22 - semi gloss black - spinners and wheel hubs
RLM66 - I would recommend the latter war 'greener' version (as it was the one with additives for chemical resistances and etc)
RLM70 - for Blades

And camouflage:

RLM74 - the Later Feisler a/c that wore the WHITE fuselage balkenkreuz I am convinced all wore RLM74/75/76 schemes
RLM75 - as one of the the standard earlier camo colours
RLM76 - the traditional 'blue-grey' is a must, but lets not over look the creamy-grey, neutral grey and green-grey variants (dependings upon your Werk Nummer and etc)
RLM77 - was used on Bf109's a lot and is suggested as the light grey that was used on wing uppers on some a/c
RLM80 - Some suggest this green was used as a camo colour - I've never used it tho
RLM81 - both the greener and browner variants - from memory, at least 3 variants are known
RLM82 - the lighter green - again multiple variants known
RLM83 - the darker green, which some believe was just the greener RLM81's; regardless, at least 3-4 variants of this are known too!
RLM84* - the 'mystery' Sky-green colour

Thats my 'basic' palette :)

Dan

Cheers Dan! Just need to match these RLM's to the Vallejo Air list...
Can't remember if it was the grey or the green that I might have messed up on this D-9... :oops: :lol:

From Dan's list:

RLM02 - 71044
RLM21 - 71001
RLM22 - 71057 (might be a bit flat)
RLM66 - 71055
RLM70 - 71021

And camouflage:

RLM74 - 71054
RLM75 - 71052
RLM76 - 71046
RLM77 - No direct Model Air colour
RLM80 - 71017 or 71094