Lockheed Lightning Mk I for the RAF - The model

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mpapadakis

Airman
Jan 2, 2007
Athens
Following a thread I started some time ago at the aviation section...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/p-38-lightning-mk-i-12408.html

...here are some photos of how the model has progressed so far.

This is a coverted Academy kit in 1/48 using the Heritage Aviation conversion set. Obviously there has been lots of work reshaping as kit that was originally a P-38F. Unfortunately I hadn't taken any pictures of what it looked like before....

p-38MkIovv1.jpg

Some details of the reworked main landing gear.

DSCF1974.jpg

DSCF1977.jpg

A close-up of the new engine nacells.

DSCF1979.jpg

And a new nose taken from the Hasegawa kit

DSCF1982.jpg

I used the kit canopy as a mould to make a new one...

DSCF2027.jpg

.... which I later detailed....

DSCF2030.jpg

And now into the paint shop... undersides first

DSCF2045.jpg

then masking...

DSCF2060.jpg

And the upper surfaces

DSCF2062.jpg

Finally (for today) the addition of the roundels and fin flashes (they were airbrushed on to the model)

DSCF2074.jpg

DSCF2077.jpg

DSCF2078.jpg

With any luck I will complete this model soon and post the final photos.

:D .

Is the black (dark) nosegear your final version? Or just a means of capturing rubber boots, etc. Never noticed such a contrast before. And I too love the hydraulic piping.

And the theme is top notch. :thumbup:

Is the black (dark) nosegear your final version? Or just a means of capturing rubber boots, etc. Never noticed such a contrast before. And I too love the hydraulic piping.

And the theme is top notch. :thumbup:

The nose gear of the kit I managed to loose somehow so I snatched it from a Night lightning (that's why it is black) which I happened to have. It will also have to be painted aluminium like the main gear.

Thank you all guys for your comments, glad you like it!!

Is it me or does it just look wrong and dull in RAF colours (the plane, not your model)? Very good job though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back