Long EZ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
Yesterday around noon, I was out back of the shop, and could hear an odd aircraft engine in the distance. After a heck of a search, I saw a little white dot directly above, so I grabbed my Pentax, which fortunately had my Sigma 70-300 lense and zoomed in on it.

After a little debate with the guys in the shop, it was decided that this had to be one of Rutan's Long EZ models.

Since there's some modern aircraft pros here, I thought I'd post two of the three photos I was able to get, and see if we were right.

The images haven't been enlarged, but actually cropped from 3000x2000 to 740x500 and look a little fuzzy because of the extreme range and the fact that I didn't have a tripod handy. Well, it would have been nice if they were at least a thousand feet lower, too... :lol:

Attachments

• IMGP5612a.jpg
    IMGP5612a.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 359
  • IMGP5614a.jpg
    IMGP5614a.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 327
We have a fair amount of civil aviation here in Redding, both at Redding (RDG) airport, and at Benton Field (O85)...most of it is mainstream, although we have an active local EAA chapter and some interesting private craft at both.

There's also CDF and USFS facilities at RDG and during extreme fire situations, contracted helos will stage at O85.

The Long EZ was headed due north, over the I-5 corridor at around 6,000ft when I grabbed the shots.

We get a huge amount of north/south over-flight here, both military and civil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back