Marcel's G.I pictures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I believe the G.1 was better in turning fights although we'll never know for sure. Henning calculated that it had a better truning capabillity then the Me110 (graph in the same thread of the D.XXI). Fact is, the G.1 performed very well in the interceptor role early may 1940 from Waalhaven Rotterdam. They claimed 13 german a/c including several Bf109's. This while they had to take off in the middle of the suprise attack. Only 2 were actually shot down at that time. the rest had to land while out of fuel and out of airfield, as Waalhaven was captured.

Hi Marcel,

>The two at Rotterdam I can confirm, one being the one crashing near Zevenbergen and the one near Vlaardingen.
The one above Dordrecht is also quite known, it crashed near Ridderkerk and I wrote the story here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/stories/last-dutch-bombers-7126.html

That's encouraging with regard to the accuracy of the Luftwaffe claims. I figure the G.1's unique lines helped to prevent misidentification :)

>I found something interesting about the one at Soesterberg. No. 325 attacked groundtargets near Wageningen between 16.25-18.25h. During that flight the a/c was heavily damaged and had to land at Soesterberg (abandoned LVA airfield near Utrecht).

Excellent! Do you think it's possible that 325 operated with one of the "wildcard" Fokker G.1s in a two-plane section? (I'm assuming the Dutch did not normally employ single aircraft in combat, but of course the situation at that time was not normal anymore ...)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Clay,

>Would have been rough on the brits though I wonder if the G.I was any better of a dogfighter than the 110. I'd assume performance of the G.I in the BoB would have been similar to 110 performance.

Here is the link to the comparison Marcel mentioned:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/fokker-d-xxi-dutch-service-15060-2.html#post409658

It's post #59 in the thread, in case the above link doesn't take you right there.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi again,

>It's post #59 in the thread, in case the above link doesn't take you right there.

Oops - actually, it's post #72.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Marcel,

>The two at Rotterdam I can confirm, one being the one crashing near Zevenbergen and the one near Vlaardingen.
The one above Dordrecht is also quite known, it crashed near Ridderkerk and I wrote the story here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/stories/last-dutch-bombers-7126.html

That's encouraging with regard to the accuracy of the Luftwaffe claims. I figure the G.1's unique lines helped to prevent misidentification :)

>I found something interesting about the one at Soesterberg. No. 325 attacked groundtargets near Wageningen between 16.25-18.25h. During that flight the a/c was heavily damaged and had to land at Soesterberg (abandoned LVA airfield near Utrecht).

Excellent! Do you think it's possible that 325 operated with one of the "wildcard" Fokker G.1s in a two-plane section? (I'm assuming the Dutch did not normally employ single aircraft in combat, but of course the situation at that time was not normal anymore ...)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

I don't know, there were cases were they had to attack on their own as the situation dictated. Would be very difficult to prove. But I'll ask some knowledgeable people here.

The only thing left from the real thing is in the Dutch airforce museum. I was there last week. If you ask the volonteers in the museum, they don't even know about it. But I found it in a corner of one of the halls. The only surviving (as far a I know off) parts of an original G.I. It's 2 parts of the tailbooms and an aileron.It probably is a G.I wasp (G.IB). I'm quite sure it came from the 362 that escaped to the UK (Story)
1. The aileron in the middle , up front the 2 parts (big one and small one) of the tail.
2. The tailboom with ruder
3. Again the tailboom

The colour doesn't seem right to me, it seems repainted. But it can also be that this is the German paint, as the 362 was finished after the May-war.

Attachments

• Aileron.JPG
    Aileron.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Tail.JPG
    Tail.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Boom.JPG
    Boom.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 140
In the same museum is a replica of the Mercury version (G.IA). It really is a beautiful model. The thing is frickin' huge as you can see. Sorry for the quality, as I used a pocket camera and the lights in the museum are crap.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 112
Good question Clay and to be honest, I have no idea. Never thought about that. It's noteworthy to mention that the G.1 was designed to have 4 guns in the nose, 2 20mm canons and 2 7.92 MG's. For some reason, the Dutch preferred the 8x 7.92 mm layout, therefore the Mercury version (G.1A) had this configuration. The export version, Wasp (G.1B) had the original configuration with the 20mm's

I don't know, there were cases were they had to attack on their own as the situation dictated. Would be very difficult to prove. But I'll ask some knowledgeable people here.

Answer still lacking. We don't know which G.1 was involved :(

But for the thread, found a pic on e-bay :), definately a German G.1 as you can see. It's the smaller version G.1 wasp

Attachments

• drossel-10.jpg
    drossel-10.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 130
Hi Marcel,

>But for the thread, found a pic on e-bay :), definately a German G.1 as you can see. It's the smaller version G.1 wasp

Hey, quite a find! :) Cool picture, brings out the shape of the G.1 very nicely!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

An original colour picture of a captured G.1 during the war.. Found it on e-bay some time ago. I think you can see at least one more somewhere in the back and I think there is some sort of a/c (G.1?) near the hangars, but it's difficult to see.

Attachments

• G1-colorkl.jpg
    G1-colorkl.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,504

Users who are viewing this thread

Back