Military May Lift Ban on Women in Submarines....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Top Pentagon officials are calling for an end to the U.S. military's historical ban on allowing women to serve in submarines.

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the top U.S. military officer, advocated the policy change in written congressional testimony distributed by his office to reporters on Friday.

"I believe we should continue to broaden opportunities for women. One policy I would like to see changed is the one barring (women's) service aboard submarines," Mullen said.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said he was "moving out aggressively on this."

"I am very comfortable addressing integrating women into the submarine force," Admiral Gary Roughead, chief of naval operations, said in a statement.

Women account for about 15 percent of the more than 336,000 members of the U.S. Navy and can serve on its surface ships. But critics have argued that submarines are different, pointing to cramped quarters where some crews share beds in shifts.

Nancy Duff Campbell, an advocate for expanding the role of women in the U.S. armed forces, said it would be easy to resolve problems associated with so-called "hot-bunking."

"They say, 'How could we have the women sleeping in the same area as men?'" said Campbell, co-president of the National Women's Law Center (NWLC).

"But they already separate where the officers sleep from the enlisted, so it's not like it can't be done."

Roughead said the problem of sorting out accommodations on the U.S. fleet of 71 submarines was not insurmountable.

Allowing women on submarines would be another step forward in expanding the role of women in the U.S. military. Last year, a woman was promoted to the rank of four-star general for the first time.

Women are still barred from traditional frontline combat roles in the U.S. military. But female soldiers often run the same risks as men in Iraq and Afghanistan, where bombings and other insurgent attacks can happen almost anywhere and target any U.S. unit.

Military may lift ban on women in submarines - Yahoo! News

Maybe they can make all Women submarines and all men ones! Just Kidding.

I really don't know what to say other than it would be awkward with such tight quarters.

Awkward aint the word... Ive been deployed on Subs in the past, attack subs only tho.... There is ZERO privacy and no room on the Subs for seperate female accomodations...

Imagine having 12 women on board a Ballistic Sub that never surfaces and goes out on 3 month deterrant patrols....

U wanna talk about problems, Christ Almighty.... What the hell are these people thinking???

After 3 weeks at sea, these women will be the target of every stiff dick in the tube....

Seems to me that there's an easy solution to this problem: Drop the ban on homosexuality while you're at it, and crew the subs exclusively with gays and lesbians.

At least that way, the women won't be the targets of all the 'stiff dicks'. And maybe living aboard a pig boat will be a little nicer once it's been tastefully decorated...

All aboard the fabulous USS San Francisco, sweeties!

JL

I see this opening a whole new can of worms if this were to go through. As has been said before, there is just no "personal" space on a sub.

"Russian sub! I've got Ivan at 3,000m on an intercept course, he's flooding his tubes"
"Sound general quarters! Turn her into the attack, increase speed to eight knots"
"Aye sir"
"Flood tubes 1 through 4"
"Sir, I can't"
"Why not?"
"They're full of shoes"
"Goddamn!"
"Bridge to torpedo room - who've we got down there?"
"Torpedo room, Ensign Betty Boop reporting"
"Ensign Boop, get those damn shoes outta my tubes NOW, lady"
"Oooooh grouchy! One thing atta time willya? I'm doin' my hair down here"

"Russian sub! I've got Ivan at 3,000m on an intercept course, he's flooding his tubes"
"Sound general quarters! Turn her into the attack, increase speed to eight knots"
"Aye sir"
"Flood tubes 1 through 4"
"Sir, I can't"
"Why not?"
"They're full of shoes"
"Goddamn!"
"Bridge to torpedo room - who've we got down there?"
"Torpedo room, Ensign Betty Boop reporting"
"Ensign Boop, get those damn shoes outta my tubes NOW, lady"
"Oooooh grouchy! One thing atta time willya? I'm doin' my hair down here"

:lol:

Attachments

• pettycoat437.jpeg
    pettycoat437.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 233
What are they thinking on this?

I don't think the gals will be in trouble from the "meat rockets" as much as I fear for the guys and thier sanity...

Just think about it, women all over the place PMS'in, cranky and wanting thier "space"...

I do remember one deployment at the end of my Naval career where one of the support ships, which had a compliment of 200 females on board, came back into port with 60 pregnancys....

60 out of 200....

Anything that compromises combat readiness is unacceptable. It's not the abilities of women that should be a concern but the dynamics of male/female relationships in such surroundings.

I'd be more open to the possibility of an all female sub crew.
... and i will be the Captain.

... stow the "seaman" jokes

I agree 100% Frank, the distraction is unavoidable with titties bouncin around everywhere....

I brought up this discussion with my son yesterday and compared it to Aliens 2 where they had the Space Marines, male and female, showering and living in the same quarters....

Thats the only way life on a sub would work, but it'll never happen.....

I agree 100% Frank, the distraction is unavoidable with titties bouncin around everywhere....

I brought up this discussion with my son yesterday and compared it to Aliens 2 where they had the Space Marines, male and female, showering and living in the same quarters....

Thats the only way life on a sub would work, but it'll never happen.....

Agreed, I think that society isn't really ready for something like this yet. There would just be too much temptation.
I can see a double-sword issue here, though. One one hand, if this ban remains, pro-feminists groups will complain that the military is being sexist, and violating a woman's option to serve on a submarine.
On the other hand, though, if this ban is lifted, I bet you that the same pro-feminist's groups will complain about the lack of privacy for women about a sub, and "crusade" for better living conditions. :rolleyes:
Just my opinion, but I can see something like this happening.

Agreed...

In close quarters like that, you're going to get people bumping into each other, basically physical contact in the course of duty...this could end up being fertile grounds for sexual harassment suits and all that crap.

A submarine is a highly specialized machine of war, it's not a luxury liner...

What they need to do, is get these people who are wanting to make subs a coed environment, and put 'em aboard for a typical tour...that'll give 'em a clue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back