Most Accurate War Film

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A good one that is being overlooked is called The Bridge its a german film circa the 50's 60's about a bunch of Hitler Youth kids called out from school to defend a bridge in their home town in the closing stages of the war in German its called Die Brucke

Saw "The Bridge" some time back. Good movie, but heavy. Like "Gallipoli", good movie but one of those flicks that bothered you after it was over.

I think, "Das Boot" is perhaps one of the most accurate war films of all time. Of course with two exceptions. The inside colour of the german submarines was not dark-grey, it was white. And of course, as I know, the germans stopped the use of rivets for the construction of there submarines even before WWI.
Both facts were well known. It was good for the dramaturgy.

I prefer the director's cut version with 208 minutes. The TV version is with 5 hours too long. And I will never forget the cool sound at the beginning, when the bow of U96 appears through the unclear water.

What do you think about "Tora! Tora! Tora!"? I think, this film is as accurate as possible.

Hey, this was my first post!!!:twisted:

I agree and I too prefer the directors cut as well. For some reason I have 2 copies of it...

I dont know why I have 2.:lol:

Just saw a war movie on TV that was well done. "The Great Raid" was about US Army Rangers going in to rescue POWs in a Japanese prison camp in the Philipines. I read the book sometime ago and the movie stayed pretty close to the real story. As I remember the critics panned the movie which I guess tells you more about the critics than it does about the movie. It was a very patriotic movie and some of the brutality of the Japanese raised my hackles.

Has anybody seen "No Man's Land" about the war in Bosnia. I thought that looked pretty on target along with the tongue in cheek humour.

Just saw a war movie on TV that was well done. "The Great Raid" was about US Army Rangers going in to rescue POWs in a Japanese prison camp in the Philipines. I read the book sometime ago and the movie stayed pretty close to the real story. As I remember the critics panned the movie which I guess tells you more about the critics than it does about the movie. It was a very patriotic movie and some of the brutality of the Japanese raised my hackles.

That was a great movie!

I agree with youall. That movie,"The Great Raid" was outstanding. I was amazed at he quality of the action scenes and the acting was good also. I watched all of the stuff after the end with the B and W film actually shot of some survivors and it really got to me. Just goes to show that Hollywood can produce good films but I guess there is not much demand for that type of film today. I was only disappointed by the Lockheed Hudson flying over the camp. Looks like they could have found a B25. I doubt if a Hudson would have been in that theater of the war at that time.

I agree with youall. That movie,"The Great Raid" was outstanding. I was amazed at he quality of the action scenes and the acting was good also. I watched all of the stuff after the end with the B and W film actually shot of some survivors and it really got to me. Just goes to show that Hollywood can produce good films but I guess there is not much demand for that type of film today. I was only disappointed by the Lockheed Hudson flying over the camp. Looks like they could have found a B25. I doubt if a Hudson would have been in that theater of the war at that time.

the USN used "Hudsons" in the PTO

Speaking of war films, I don't know if it was all that accurate but one of my favorite films of all time is "Zulu" Stanley Baker directed and starred in it and it was one of the early films that Micheal Caine played in. The king of the Zulus was played by the modern day king of the Zulus. Buthelezi I believe his name was.

Were they Hudsons or Venturas at that stage of the war? At any rate it is a minor point.

I believe the actually a/c used in real life was a P-61, but since there are obviously no P-61's flying and the movie was filmed in Oz, the Hudson (only airworthy one in the world) was probably the only option available to the film makers.

What was the name of the movie about best friends on opposite sides in Serbia/Bosnia, the "bad guy" was an olympique shooter and the "good guy" needed to kill him,was a good movie and for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Found it. It's called Shot Through the Heart. Was a pretty good movie, A little more drama than action but all around good.

I thought Flags Of Our Fathers was okay but they didnt put the battle into enough detail

It is extremely accurate and the reason the battle was not more in detail is because that was not the point of the movie. Read the book and you will understand. It was about the flag and who raised it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back